fuel door locked shut HELP

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My 2012 TDI has its fuel door locked shut. All other locking doors work fine. Has anybody had this problem? Is there a release somewhere in the trunk? I have taken the car to the dealer who said it is the lock actuator ?? It is scafrey to think you could be a a long trip and not be ab to release the door in an emergency. Thanks for the help.:mad:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Check behind the panel inside the car where your door is located. I would imagine there is an emergency release since they all have had them since they came here. I know my '10 has one.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
As above, on the T1 and T2 there is a black plastic manual release [which can be hard to see as on mine it was almost hidden by the CD 6 stack unit] inside the space behind the fuel filler cap. I don't know for sure it's there on the T3 [your car], but it is worth a look. Let us know.

If it is there, pull it sideways and the cap should spring open.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Just got back from dealer who replaced the activator device for the door. I asked about an emergency interior release capability. They stated there is no such thing in the T-3s. I am astonished to say the least. They said mine was the first they had seen. This is a big dealership that sells a bunch of Tregs.

This doesn't make me feel very good to say the least. I take 1500 mile trips several times a yr. BTW my extended warranty paid all but $100 deductable of the bill. The part cost $70.00,so guess you could attempt a replacement yourself.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't know why the fuel door requires a lock in the first place. If someone's going to steal your diesel they'll do it regardless.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
A lock only keeps a honest person honest. Also thieves look for the easiest score, so if its between a locked fuel door and no lock, guess who's getting jacked?

There is a trick on the latter models for getting the door unstuck. We first saw this on Jetta SportWagens and Tiguans. And the actuator got moved outside the body so that's why there is no manual release.

Jason

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't live nor park in a bad neighborhood. Never had fuel stolen in the 20 some years I've had vehicles. I have 2 other vehicles and guess what no lock on the fuel door. The simpler the better.