Fuel Bubbles?

Ynot

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K GLS, Black
When I saw KERMA almost a month ago, he pointed out that I had bubbles showing up in the clear tubing that comes from the fuel filter. I know this is not a good thing and I believe thats why the clear section is there. My questions are, what causes this and what are the ramifications of letting it go on for a while, will you feel a performance drop? I have a CAT fuel filter set up I just can't seem to get my stuff together at the right time to do my major up grade.

Ynot

DarthSurplus

Bubbles are bad. They can erode your injectors and fuel lines.

When I have added entrained air removal devices to my powerstrokes, it has made them smoother and quieter.

sdcatdi

TDI
2005 Passat B5.5 GLS TDI
Just installed the CAT fuel filter mod and I've got an air bubble that runs through the clear intake line about every 20 seconds or so, but no bubble in the same line when the engine's off. Is it normal or okay to have a bubble go through at this rate, or am I asking for trouble?

Beta

Veteran Member
TDI
87 syncro westy alh
I started getting air leaks at my cat filter as well. made for difficult starts after sitting for more than a day. I took off the metal retainer from the return t and bent it so it holds the t really tight. I also tightened the banjo bolts as much as possible. Seems to be ok now.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I have seen them all the time with cheap fuel,
With premium diesel I don't see as many.

I had them with my OEM Fuel filter and thought they were a problem, but it is actually foam in the Diesel not air entering the system.
They seem to be less with my new cat fuel filter, but then I have been more careful in where I buy fuel.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
A few bubbles can be normal; worry when you get a stream of them.