FS:2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-sp for rebuild or parts

TN2002tdi

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI, 6-speed manual
FS: 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-sp for rebuild- TN 37645

THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN SOLD 2002 Jetta GLS TDI- Cool White with Beige Leather.

Sadly, the time has come for me to part with my beloved ALH. It fell victim to black ice last week. The car currently has 250k miles on it. I am the original owner and have done all of the routine maintenance after the factory warranty expired. Correct oil was always used (either Rotella T blue, Valvoline 505.00 or Pentosin 505.00) Full timing belt changes were done at 100k and 200k by TDI guru (TurbineWhine) and his son (DG-TDI) Appalachian Diesel Works. TurbineWhine also did a "5-sp swap" on this car at 150K and also installed a new OEM turbo at about 175K. The original auto trans and turbo never failed but showed signs of doing so. I have always intended to keep this car as long as it was practical to do so and I have always maintained it with this in mind. If anything was broke or showed signs of wear it was replaced or repaired ASAP. The following work has been done to this car outside of routine maintenance. Mileage is approximate.

Service History-

100k- Full timing belt change, intake cleaning, transmission service, and also replaced camshaft and followers. Mechanic (TurbineWhine)noticed slight wear on camshaft lobes and recommended replacement for "piece of mind".

125k- "TurbineWhine" installed Bosio Sprint 442 injector nozzles and Removed EGR valve and cooler unit. A "race pipe" was used in place of the EGR unit. This was done for mild performance upgrade and reduce intake clogging issue common with ALH cars. "Rocketchip" installed RC2 programming to take advantage of new nozzles and also EGR delete. This was a noticable power upgrade that also slightly improved MPG.

150k- Started noticing signs of auto trans failure. I decided to do a "5-speed swap". Sourced a transmission (02J- EGR)with 66K from a salvage yard and some other various parts. All other wear items were replaced with OEM parts and the oil (Redline MT90)was changed in the trans. A new VR6 clutch kit and Audi TT short shifter was installed as well. TDI guru "Turbowhine" did all of the work. I've had "0" issues since related to the swap and it really transformed the car. MPG improved at least 4-5. This is when I decided to keep the car for a long time.

175k- Noticed the turbo was getting louder. "Turbowhine" felt excessive play
in the turbo impeller and recommended replacement. Turbo was replaced with a new OEM unit.

200k- Full timing belt change by "DG-TDI" Appalachian Diesel Works. Also installed rebuilt Bosch Alternator, thermostat, coolant temperature sensor and trans service (Redline MT90) was done at this time. Good to go for another 100k!

235k- I replaced bad starter with rebuilt Bosch unit. I also had to replace the fuse box on top of the battery and also a new battery.

The accident damage is as follows:

Front Suspension-

1. Left steering knuckle, ball joint, control arm, drive shaft, tie rod and sway bar end link damaged.
2. Right ball joint, control arm, tie rod and sway bar end link damaged.

Mechanical and Electrical damage-

1. Radiator, support frame/ shroud, fan bracket. (Battery fell into it).
2. Battery.
3. Turbo Intercooler.
4. Accessory drive belt idler pulley.
5. Right Headlight unit.
6. AC Compressor wiring damage (could be functional).
7. Muffler.

Body damage-

1. Front bumper cover, lower valance and all 3 bottom engine covers.
2. Right and left front fenders and liners.
3. Minor damage on passenger front door.
4. Dent in right front rocker panel near fender.
5. Rear lower valance.
6. Dent in trunk lid.
7. Driver seat airbag deployed.
8. Left curtain airbag deployed.

I tried to be as thorough as I could listing the damage. It does not appear that the engine is damaged in any way. It was still running after the accident but the accessory drive belt pulley and intercooler needs to be replaced. The AC compressor may be fine once the wiring is repaired. The transmission was not touched. All engine/ transmission mounts look fine. The sub-frame appears to be undamaged. I have a set of OEM wheels that are undamaged that will go with the car. This is a non-smoking car and the interior is clean and in great shape for an 11 yr old car. It has the original fully functional 11mm injection pump.

The car ran perfectly with no issues until it was wrecked. I really want to keep it myself but I do not have the garage space or time to do the work. It would cost too much for me to pay someone else to do the repairs. I think $2,000 would be a fair price to ask for the car. If I do not sell the car in a couple of weeks I will begin parting it out and sell the remainder for salvage. The car is not a rolling wreck. The front suspension would need some repair to make it so. Please send me a PM if you are interested. I can send photos if you give me an email address.

Last edited:

TN2002tdi

TDI
This car is still available. I've had many inquiries for parts but I would prefer to sell the whole car if I can by local pick-up. With my current work schedule I barely have enough time to sleep much less disassemble a car. If it does not sell by 12/15 I will part it out when I do get time and list them in the parts section.

Just wanted to let it be known that the transmission is the preferred EGR code and the engine has the original 11mm IP. Both are fully functional with no leaks. The Sachs VR6 clutch and G60 22lb. single mass flywheel ($400) are also solid and worked as they did when installed. It also comes with an Audi TT short shifter, real leather shift boot and an aluminum MOMO shift knob.($200)

The car would need to be transported by roll-back in it's current state. The left steering knuckle, driveshaft and ball joint are broken.

Original owner with clear title in hand. $2,000

Thank You

Last edited:

TN2002tdi

TDI
I have taken many high resolution photos. If anyone would like to see them, just give an email address by PM. If you want to see a close-up of anything in particular let me know.

TN2002tdi

TDI
Just wanted everyone to know that I also have a new OEM glove box door ($185) and chrome e-brake button ($15) that I have not yet installed in the car that will be included with the car.

Thanks

TN2002tdi

TDI
Sold- I was told the car would be parted out for a 5-sp. swap and the engine would be used in another vehicle. I was glad the parts would be used to keep more ALH's on the road. They are awesome cars and mine served my family well for a long time.