Frost Heater, check your cords!

penclnck

For anyone with a Frost Heater, check your power cords!!

My wife went to plug it back up when she got home today and was shocked at what happened. This unit is 5 or 6 years old if I recall. I had plugged it up the other day for my wife and I didn't notice any issues at the time, but, not like I broke out the Zeiss Optics D12 magnifier and did an inspection.

The issue, the lack of good strain relief where the actual cord comes out of the mold for the plug. Now to that end, I would suggest that, if possible, a better stain relief at the end of the cord to be used for future kits.

I will still recommend the kit to people in cold weather areas.... however... the cord may wear out after X number of years. :eek:

I'll cut the cord, and crimp in place an extension cord and then seal it all off with an adhesive lined shrink tubing.

As for my wife, more of a big scare than an actual injury. She has maybe 75% of a minor first degree burn, in that, a few tender spots on her hand. The doctor says she will never play the piano again since she doesn't practice anymore... yeah, that was a good investment... as least I got a Show What You Tow post out of it. :rolleyes:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
If I recall correctly this is the second post I have seen about cord issues. Got to remember that these cords are touched minimum of 2 times per day and depending on your location for 5-6 months. The other thing is that the cord is not something that Frost heater touches, at least I would not think they would. I would that this would be the factory cord from the heater unit itself.

In saying this, I am not saying anything other than you should probably inspect at least once a month during use. Something that is exposed to the outside elements always should be.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I'll check mine. I was trying to go for a maintenance-free type of install. Will report back.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Gotta check my cord!

I recently started using my Frost Heater again, and noticed it has been working intermittently. At first I thought the problem was dirty prongs on the plug, so I cleaned them thoroughly. The heater worked fine that night, but not the next.

I'll actually be happy if the problem is the cord and not the heater unit.

I just got ONE OF THESE. If my Frost Heater's plug is bad, I'll splice it directly onto the Frost Heater's cord.

ETA: I contacted Frost about getting a replacement cord. They are not available for the boxy heater units like mine (although they are available for the cylindrical units). I also confirmed that the problem is my cord, so I'll be splicing my new NOCO Genius plug to my Frost Heater this weekend.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Dante thats the plug i use aswell. Very well made. Heavy guage wire and a great way to mount. Its a great product.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
My plug has become difficult to push in and pull out.

What kind of lubricant is recommended?

And where/how did you mount that NOCO plug?

Last edited:

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Mine is in the front valence (black trim piece below the bumper) as close to the driver's side of the car as possible. It's below the lower driver's side grille (in front of the front tire). My car has a 2" lift, so I don't have to worry about scraping it on a curb. I used to just poke the cord out of the grille and hide it behind the grille during the warm months.

FWIW, I treated my new plug and my extension cord with THIS after I installed the plug.

D.Eightch

TDI
11 Jetta Wagen TDi
I recently started using my Frost Heater again, and noticed it has been working intermittently. At first I thought the problem was dirty prongs on the plug, so I cleaned them thoroughly. The heater worked fine that night, but not the next.

I just got ONE OF THESE. If my Frost Heater's plug is bad, I'll splice it directly onto the Frost Heater's cord.

ETA: I contacted Frost about getting a replacement cord. They are not available for the boxy heater units like mine (although they are available for the cylindrical units). I also confirmed that the problem is my cord, so I'll be splicing my new NOCO Genius plug to my Frost Heater this weekend.
This looks slick.

AtlsNBP

TDI
2002 Jetta
i recently started using my frost heater again, and noticed it has been working intermittently. At first i thought the problem was dirty prongs on the plug, so i cleaned them thoroughly. The heater worked fine that night, but not the next.

I just got one of these. If my frost heater's plug is bad, i'll splice it directly onto the frost heater's cord.

eta: I contacted frost about getting a replacement cord. They are not available for the boxy heater units like mine (although they are available for the cylindrical units). I also confirmed that the problem is my cord, so i'll be splicing my new noco genius plug to my frost heater this weekend.
exactly, what ive been looking for.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Mine is in the front valence (black trim piece below the bumper) as close to the driver's side of the car as possible. It's below the lower driver's side grille (in front of the front tire). My car has a 2" lift, so I don't have to worry about scraping it on a curb. I used to just poke the cord out of the grille and hide it behind the grille during the warm months.

FWIW, I treated my new plug and my extension cord with THIS after I installed the plug.
Ordered!

Thank you for finding this plug!

I don't think I will splice since I always am taking my bumper off.

Should I try to seal the plug's connection?

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
I wouldnt worry about the connection. If there ever was a problem it is easily rememided.
I agree with GreenLantern. If the plug's behind the bumper or valence it should be fairlt well protected from the weather. That said, I'm guilty of a tendency toward overkill. Before I decided to splice my cord, I ordered some 1.5" ID Heavy Duty Moisture-Seal Heat-Shrink Tubing from McMaster Carr, which I planned to shrink over the connected plugs. Definitely overkill, though.

I soldered all my splices and covered them with color-coded heat-shrink tubing, and then shrunk a larger piece around the whole splice.