Front Passenger Door Won't Lock

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
The front passenger door lock module in my Golf took a dump a few days ago. The module was stuck in the locked position and I had to force in the inner door handle pretty hard to get it to open.

Ordered a new unit from a vendor, and installed it today. Before I put everything back together, I cycled the lock with the keyfob and ops checked the door using the internal and exterior handle. Put everything back together and took it for a drive.

I can hear the passenger door lock cycling while driving. The "knob" does not go all the way down when I lock the car, using the keyfob or the interior switch and I can open the door from the outside when it's supposed to be locked. The alarm functions and arms just fine when the lock button is pressed and when the passenger door is opened?

Did I miss something when I installed the new module? Not sure what else to look for unless the rod for the lock knob is somehow binding. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

saltwater46

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
When I replaced mine a few months ago, my lock knob by the window was binding on the door panel itself after I replaced it causing symptoms similar to the one you describe. I bought all new connectors, the door panel plastic connectors, removed the panel again, and replaced them, being very careful about the alignment over the top by the window and working my way down. That did the trick. By the way, everything worked fine when I removed the outer door panel again, which confirmed my suspicion. I ended up having to re-epoxy the top of the outer door panel because I had broken a piece of it when I removed it the first time, not being sure how to actually lift it off properly. That's what caused the actual binding. I hope this helps you.
2000 Jetta ALH 330,000 miles and counting
Chuck
Cocoa Beach, FL

BluFalcon

TDI
13 Passat TDI
Thanks for the info, you pretty much pinpointed the problem. :D

The metal arm for the lock button got bent while removing the door panel initially and was binding. Pulled the panel back off, and bent the arm slightly so that it lined up with the opening on the door panel a bit better. Seems to be working right now.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Had the same problem and it turned out that the window control board went bad in the window motor. It is a vert though. Door wouldn't lock or unlock.