Front door clips

STurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf ALH TDI
I have never heard of this before. The only re-calls I have known about on the MkIV's was the brake light switch, and the front fenders and I think the ABS module.

Would it be possible to post a scan of it?

HOOPER65

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD TDI GOLF
Common apparently - Dealer has been doing the repair at no charge for quite some time - long before this notice came out. Out of the blue the window can just drop into the door !
Bad news is it seems imply in one sentence, “ IF window regulator clip breaks “ rather than just say bring in your car so we replace your window regulator clips .... It seems to not be a recall - it's worded as Warranty Extension.

Re: Recalls ...

Brake light switch - yes, I know that one ...

Front fenders and the ABS module - not heard of those ones,
care to shed some light on them ?

Also, the EGR valve ( exhaust gas re-circulation valve ) was recalled on certain VIN numbered cars.

Uncle Milty

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA GLS TDI
How does one inform VW that I am now the owner of a Jetta? I looked on the VW.ca web site and didn't find anything that helped.
Can I check my VIN on-line to see if recalls and such were done?
Please don't say go to your local VW dealer, I won't darken their door.

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
The window can randomly drop into the door. Happened to my old TDI on the way to a GTG at Jeff's place. I guess the clips they used were to weak to hold to glass. They replace them with metal clips I believe.

The front fenders were also done on my old TDI. The front wheel arches start to rust due to a foam insulation the use in the fenders. So if your car has rusty front fenders take it into a local dealership and have them look at it and VW should cover to cost of new fenders and paint.

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Unless they've re-extended the window clips problem, it's only a 7-year extension. A co-worker's driver's window fell into the door and Hillcrest wouldn't replace it under warranty since his car was more than 7 years old; they did the work but he had to pay for it.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Yeh Milty if you have rusty fenders and you want them fixed, you best darken Browns VW's door. They replaced my fenders a couple of weeks back. All that they do is take a couple of pics and send it off to VW for approval. They just arrange an appointment for a fender replacement and I took it a couple of doors down the road to Centennial for two shiny new fenders.

Consider this a shout to all rusty fendered VWs on the Island! Sorry, now I put the thread OT.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Barry has replaced every set of clips I've ever sent in to see him, even out of province visitors, (Luv you, Silver!). It may be a 7 year thing but I don't know how sticky they are on it. Take it in and ask, the worst they'll do is say no. Oh, and they will replace both sides regardless of wether or not they're both broken.

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey Jeff, or anyone else for that matter. What years does this cover, mine is an '03 wagon.

Fyrman said:
Barry has replaced every set of clips I've ever sent in to see him, even out of province visitors, (Luv you, Silver!). It may be a 7 year thing but I don't know how sticky they are on it. Take it in and ask, the worst they'll do is say no. Oh, and they will replace both sides regardless of wether or not they're both broken.

STurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf ALH TDI
HOOPER65 said:
ABS module - not heard of those ones, care to shed some light on them ?

I thought there was a recall on the ABS module becaue it would stay running after the ignition was turned off. The motor in the module would then burn out, making ABS in-operable causing warning light to appear.

Maybe it wasn't an offical re-call; just something that became a known problem, either that or they fixed the problem in the later MkIV's.