Fried Positive Battery Cables

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
On Wednesday I notices some wispy smoke coming up from the cowling. After pulling over and popping the hood, I discovered it was coming from the positive cables on the battery. The smaller diameter cable going to the fuse block was smoking and melted/burned about 2" of insulation. The clamp heated up enough to melt some of the plastic surrounding the battery post. the larger cable going to the starter showed some slight discoloration, but may be ok. I suspect it was caused by the bolt holding the fuse block cable to the clamp came loose causing a high resistance and the resulting heat and smoke.

Questions: I called 1stVWparts and they said the only cable they could find for it was an "assembly" for $190 (and only 11 in country). I don't have th exact part number. Does anyone know (Oilhammer?) what exactly this assembly entails? Is it just the starter cable or does it include the fuse block cable or is there another part number for just the fuse block cable alone?

Shot of the fuse block cable:

Shot of the cables and battery post - note the heat damage to the surface around the post itself. I have not checked yet to see if the battery leaks at that point now..

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow up. The cable mentioned above is just the starter cable. The cable to the fuse block is on the same diagram in ETKA (#30), but for some reason does not list a part number (anyone have it?)

I was able to clean up the cables in daylight. The starter cable looks good. The smaller cable looks good structurally (coopper looks good) but not cosmetically. I am going to try cutting back the insulation and put on some heat shrink tubing.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
if the copper has been that hot it should be replaced. before doing that you best find the source of your problem.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now, I am not sure of the exact cause. At first, I thought it was the result of a loose connection resulting in a high resistance/heat situation. But, the copper on the smaller cable looks good after being cleaned up. A bit of shrink tubing will fix that. The new factor is the post itself. It appears that acid has been leaking out and that was what had covered the clamp and causing the smoke. So, the next step is to get a new battery.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
you could read the posts here on batteries. A top quality one is essential. VW often has promotional incentives and the oem Varta is one of the best.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Yes for all the trouble a cheap battery will perhaps cause, just get a decent one. I went with the battery upgrade that Oilhammer posted last year and it has worked great.