four wire harness replace

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
I'm about to replace my four wire glow plug harness on my 2002 and was thinking about just splicing it together at the top. Has any one done this and do you have any tips or do ya think I should do it the old fashion way?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
think with these that's how it's done, some years can;t remember what ones it started at but you can follow the wires and they might come to a connector near the firewall somewhere if I recall

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Eric,

It has a four pin connecter at the fire wall, but I heard it's a pain in the @$$#%$%$% to fish out all the wires. Thats why I'm thinking of splicing it at the top.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Don't splice and don't fish out any wires!! All you need to do is cut the old harness where it dissapears into the mass of wires. Then disconnect the old harness at the firewall and plug in your new harness. At the firewall you can cut away the old harness. The wires for the new harness can be attached to the outside of the bundle of wires where the old wires run with the use of nylon ties.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased

You need to remove the battery, battery tray, and some of the various plastic covers covering the wiring.

The real cutting is all the cutting of the electrical tape and the occasional that bundles all the wires of the GP harness with other wires. It is tedious work with a razor blade.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Nope. Don't do any cutting of the wire bundles. Just use nylon ties to attach the wires of the new harness to the outside of the bundles. Leave the wires to the old harness inside the wire bundles. I've done it. It only takes a few minutes to install a new harness on TDIs with the four pin connector.