For those who might be interested ( especially in Europe)

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Bought a new Passat this year CR 140 CFFB engine number. The turbo part number is 03L 256 056 T. made by KKK

I managed to get hold of a CR 170 turbo CFGB engine number slightly used off Ebay. The part number is 03L 253 010 F made by Garrett. Note the Euro 140 and 170 engine are one of the same.

The turbo's side by side at first glance look similiar in size but the compressor housing is thicker for more airflow. The good news is this turbo will bolt straight up to the euro 140 engine. I can't say about the USA 140 engine as i'm not sure what turbo they use..

Also to note the plastic pipe that screws to the outlet of the turbo on the outside are the same physically and will be ok but if you get the 170 one it has a bigger hole inside for more airflow..:)

While i swapped the turbo i did the DPF delete. Haven't got it mapped yet but the car drives as normal apart from the engine light due to DPF removal...

Power should go to circa 215-220 bhp ( which is all i want), probably the easiiest/cheapest way to get over 200bhp. You can always sell your old 140 turbo to get some money back..:D

Just thought it was worth mentioning

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Interesting post Micky.......sounds like a nice stealth mod......I'm currently looking at a CR motor myself....

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
You'll want to get the tune done soon, if the car tries to do a regen of the DPF after it is removed you risk damaging any remaining exhaust components downstream, if you have a full DPF delete and straight pipe exhaust you'll risk melting your bumper (someone in the US did that after a DPF delete and the car tried to regen)

And good news on the turbos fitting! I bought a CR170 turbo from a CBBB for my US CR140 CBEA and the CBBB turbo is currently getting hybrided with GTB2056 internals....

What was the difference between the CR140 and CR170 oil lines? Any other issues when installing it?

I know for the US the plastic intake pipe is different (since we have 2 EGRs and Euro cars only have 1) but that was easily resolved with a trip to German ebay...

I'd say after a good tune your set up should be good for 210-220hp... You might want to start planning on an upgraded clutch in the future

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Nice. Seems to be a few available across the pond, non when I looked on the US eBay. Also it seems to is a popular turbo used in any number of diesels over in Europe. Not sure if any, how different one for a VW would be from one say off a Valvo.

If anyone is interested, the Garrett model and part number are such, GTC1459VZ / 785448-0003

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice. Seems to be a few available across the pond, non when I looked on the US eBay. Also it seems to is a popular turbo used in any number of diesels over in Europe. Not sure if any, how different one for a VW would be from one say off a Valvo.

If anyone is interested, the Garrett model and part number are such, GTC1459VZ / 785448-0003
The US only had the CR140 so there are usually no euro CR turbos on ebay. I bought mine off ebay UK for $250, since VW likes to change the PN frequently there are many versions from the euro CR170... Mine is PN 03L 253 016G which was replaced by 056C and 019M... the PN also depends if it was from an Audi, VW, or Skoda.... I think mine was from a Skoda...

The ones from VW should be a mostly direct bolt on since VW uses the single piece manifold/housing and one from a Volvo wouldnt work because of different manifolds or require a custom manifold to bolt the turbo to...

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Right. I fitted the turbo and all fitted right up. As i said you need the oil lines. Where they are different is the position they bolt up to on the turbo, different angle. Everything else fitted up, the inlet and outlet etc. Maybe a cheap worthwhile mod for the CR 140 that are remapped is the plastic pipe that's bolted to the outlet of the turbo. They look identicle but inside the 170 one has a larger diameter.

The car drove as normal after doing the dpf delete and turbo. After a few days the dame thing started doing a regen and just wouldn't stop!
click on photo for video

However i found that disconnecting the DPF sensor stopped it, the car never went into limp mode when i disconnected it, weird...

I got it mapped and realisticly it's about 200bhp but goes like hell! It actually reminds me of my old 2.0T with 300bhp! Thankfully no clutch slip yet ;-)

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
I was looking for the plastic outlet for a while and I just settled on the Neuspeed outlet pipe... a new outlet dampner was about $130 and the Neuspeed aluminum outlet pipe was $135. Used plastic dampners on ebay were $85 and anything from Europe would have cost just about as much (if I could find a shipper willing to ship outside of the EU). Since I have a early CBEA I have a metal outlet pipe which is not interchangable with the later plastic pipe.

Do you know what the PN for the new oil line is? I'll need to research if its different for us in the US...

I'm interested in what numbers you get after the tune.... it'll give me a baseline estimate what I should be running.

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
I was looking for the plastic outlet for a while and I just settled on the Neuspeed outlet pipe... a new outlet dampner was about $130 and the Neuspeed aluminum outlet pipe was $135. Used plastic dampners on ebay were $85 and anything from Europe would have cost just about as much (if I could find a shipper willing to ship outside of the EU). Since I have a early CBEA I have a metal outlet pipe which is not interchangable with the later plastic pipe.

Do you know what the PN for the new oil line is? I'll need to research if its different for us in the US...

I'm interested in what numbers you get after the tune.... it'll give me a baseline estimate what I should be running.
It just about touched 200bhp on a known accurate dyno, smokes a bit after 4k rpm when floored too, but goes like the clappers :D

I'm not sure how a 170 turbo will perform on a USA CR 140 as i have heard they are different injectors? Here in Europe the CR 140 engines and injectors are the same as the CR 170 except they fitted a smaller wind mill to the CR 140...

Not sure on the oil lines part numbers as i don't have access to ETKA sorry..

I was lucky to have the plastic pipe attached to the turbo when i bought it off ebay :D

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I bought mine off ebay UK for $250,
250 dollars, or 250 pounds? With the way the dollar is trading against the pound, it would be nearly $400 USD if you indeed paid in GBP. I guess I can always see if I can find one on my next trip and bring it back. Wonder what kinda looks I'd get with a turbo in my luggage. :cool:

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
250 dollars, or 250 pounds? With the way the dollar is trading against the pound, it would be nearly $400 USD if you indeed paid in GBP. I guess I can always see if I can find one on my next trip and bring it back. Wonder what kinda looks I'd get with a turbo in my luggage. :cool:
It was about $260 (£160 + £10 P&P to my friend in England) for a used CBBB turbo, PN 03L 253 016G.... I think it came from a Skoda with their version of the CR170 engine.

The rebuild and hybriding currently taking place was £700 ($1,100)... pricey but less than buying a big turbo kit considering the CBBB turbo housing is the same as the CBEA housing and my DPF delete will bolt up...

Sorry to hijack the thread! I'll start one of my own soon...