Flickering infotainment screen

Phil Ritter

TDI
2017 Golf
The screen flickers and moves around but all the functions work.

I have done the reset, disconnected and re-connected the battery, jumpered the battery terminals and have tried three used screens and a replacement 5F control unit from EBay as well as running the dealer diagnostics.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Typically flickering or blank screen traces back to a faulty "brains" unit, as the screen is merely a screen

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@smittyatl I wouldn't normally say a flickering screen is a harness. I would normally agree with @pedroYUL the main unit is failing. But OP says they've already tried a few used screens and replaced the 5F unit (which to mean means the main unit in the glovebox).

Of course there's no guarantee with anything used. I think the likelihood of 4 screens having the exact same issue is slim. Likelihood of 2 main units having the same issue is 50/50, so it's very possible the eBay unit has the same problem. I would try to source another one.

The cables are cheap though, and good to rule out. I haven't really heard of cables failing but the more you mess with them (in removing/installing parts to troubleshoot) the more chances you have to mess one up.

Last edited:

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon

Etoile

TDI
2009 Sportwagen no longer 2011 Jetta Sportwagen 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen all manual
Have you found a remedy for the flickering screen? Same issue here. Wondering if it’s possible for the cause to be something other than just failure.