Flashing glowplug light

jwindley

TDI
SEAT Leon TDI 110
Can anyone tell me what this means? I start my car up this morning, and as I drove off, I noticed the glow plug light was flashing. Being a bit worried, I stopped the engine, and restarted it, and the light went away.

I've seen this twice before, once when I was checking the timing with VAG-COM, and once like this morning.

Is something wrong with the car?

This is on a 2003 SEAT Leon 110 (basically golf Mk4)
Thanks!

audi801.9tdi

TDI
audi 80, 1992
make sure and check that there isnt any bulbs blown first, this is a warning light for brake lights, park lights going etc..

If there is no bulb blown check your fuses, just in case

If that dont work what you'll have to do is take out your four glowplugs and test each one of them and replace any1 that isnt working

After that you'll jus have to plug it in and run the fault codes to see what the matter is....

turk90210

TDI
ford Galaxy 1.9pd,golf est 1.9tdi
before you get too involved check the brake light operation, maybee replace the switch as a "flashing" glow plug light is usually caused by the brake switch, if it is staying on then there has been a fault recognised by the ecu and keeps the light on which vag.com would show you

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I don't believe that the flashing gp light has anything to do with the glow plugs.

You can do a scan, but start with the brake lights. If they all work, come back and other suggestions may be had.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 TDI Platinum grey 5 speed
Change the brake switch. My NB had that same problem before I bought it. I came back from test driving it and the answer was change the brake switch. If you do get the new green switch. All the recall notices are being replaced with the all new green switch. In my adventure I also found a few burnt out bulbs, check them as well. Oh, the new switch is less than $10.

jwindley

TDI
SEAT Leon TDI 110
Thanks for the advice! I'll check all the bulbs etc. Is it strange that the light doesn't flash continuously every time I start the car?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If it's the switch, they are known for being a bit wonky before completely failing. When the gp light flashes, see if you can engage the cruise control. If not, I would swap out the switch. It could also be temperature sensitive as are many of the switches/relays that are not perfect.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Is the CEL also lit? If so, the flashing glowplug light may indicate a sensor failure. VAG-COM will show what the problem is in this case.

jwindley

TDI
SEAT Leon TDI 110
Right, this happened again last night, so I connected my laptop to the car using VAG-COM. There was an error code listed under the engine:

17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
P1562 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I have tuning box on the car , so I think it's trying to overfuel past the normal limit when under full boost. I have a manual adjuster on the box, so I've cleared the error code and turned the tuning box down a fraction.

Thanks for all your help!

dzelldog

TDI
2003 jetta r.i.p.
flashing glo plug light

VW has finally recalled all the brake light switches. I would guess it's about 99% probable that is your problem.

jwindley

TDI
SEAT Leon TDI 110
Why would a brake light switch give me a "Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached" error in VAG COM?

rob7bt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GT TDI 150 3 DOOR
Hi i also have the exact same problem last 2 weeks or so ,and like yourself i have a tuning box fitted mk4 110 tdi!:(

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Just received my recall notice today for faulty brake light switch.
Never had a problem.

dmc tdi 99

TDI
golf
hey im new to this so hi to everyone i have a prob with my golf mk 4 tdi so i changed the brake light switch but now the brake lights stay on can someone please help me thanks dave

Nats_dad

TDI
2003 wagon
New brake light switch fixed flashing glow plug light

Hi Folks,

Dealer just replaced my brake light switch (under recall) and that stopped the flashing glow plug light - which had come on for the first time this morning. Thanks to all the TDI'ers for the good advice!

superleon

TDI
Seat Leon
dmc tdi 99 said:
hey im new to this so hi to everyone i have a prob with my golf mk 4 tdi so i changed the brake light switch but now the brake lights stay on can someone please help me thanks dave
Mate, I had the same problem with my previous Leon. When fitting the brake light switch you press the pedal down as far as it goes (so the plunger in the switch doesn't go in), then to adjust the switch, you pull the pedal up towards you - you'll hear a few clicks, and that's it.

I suspect you haven't done the last bit (pulled the pedal up towards you), so the switch is permanently switched on.

Hope this helps.

Vegged-Out

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2003 Jetta | 2011 BMW 335d | 2016 BMW Xdrive35d
jwindley said:
Right, this happened again last night, so I connected my laptop to the car using VAG-COM. There was an error code listed under the engine:

17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
P1562 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I have tuning box on the car , so I think it's trying to overfuel past the normal limit when under full boost. I have a manual adjuster on the box, so I've cleared the error code and turned the tuning box down a fraction.

Thanks for all your help!
JWindley,

I just had the exact same error on my 2003 today, but after a restart, it went away (Checked with the VAG COM). Does anyone know what the N146 Quantity Adjuster is? I do not have any sort of tuning box on my, it is stock.

Anyone have any thoughts?

CV