fix in Europe

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I don't understand what you are implying.
We have known there would be a fix. The American fix will not bring the emissions into complete compliance, but instead to an accepted compromise. For the most part the power and economy should be unchanged.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I don't understand what you are implying.
We have known there would be a fix. The American fix will not bring the emissions into complete compliance, but instead to an accepted compromise. For the most part the power and economy should be unchanged.
My implication are those speculating that there will be no fix....and as such, no compensation.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
so if VW gets a fix approved say July '18, and for those that keep their car, signed on for the fix, will get no compensation at all.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Where are you people getting all this from??

VW has a hard deadline for submitting documentation on the various fixes to EPA and CARB and in turn they have a deadline (45 days later) to approve those submissions. All of these dates are in the future but they are NOT past the end-date of the program (December 2018). If there is no approved fix by the hard deadline then people who opted "fix" will be given the choice of buyback (with the exact same terms as available today) or keep on driving, do nothing, and get nothing.

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this.

If you want to get out of the car, submit it for buyback now and get out of the vehicle ASAP and get paid for it. Done. No problem.

If you want to extract your money's worth and/or you have warranty coverage remaining then submit the documentation but choose a buyback date well in the future. No problem.

If you choose "fix" and there is a "fix" that eventually gets approved, then you get your "fix" and some money and an extended warranty some time in the future. No problem.

If you choose "fix" and there is no "fix" then you can opt for buyback at that time. No problem.

If you want to just keep driving the car and you don't care about this whole situation, you can do that, too, and in this situation you don't care whether a "fix" gets approved or not. No problem. You won't get any compensation ... but you wouldn't have gotten that compensation no matter what happened anyhow. So what? You made that choice. Therefore there is no problem. (Although I would suggest that people in this scenario still submit their documentation for the "fix" even if, right now, you have no intention of following through ... that way, if you decide before December 2018 that you would like some warranty coverage, you can get the fix and get the warranty, and if there is no fix, and the car starts developing issues or you want out in some way, you can. Again - No problem.)

So where is the scenario that is such a problem?

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
They can still, if they chose to do so, to try and come up with a fix, even after the time limit has passed though.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Yes, if they develop a fix afterward there will not be any need.
Nobody who hasn't chosen the fix would then decide to have it done.
All the buyback cars would have been sitting for over a year, and due to the additional age will be worth little.
It does not make sense for them to hold off on the fix. The return on investment will not pay off.

The only way I see a delayed fix is if they are very close and need to tweak it, in which case they would probably have to go back to the judge to get an extension, and they would then extend the time for the people with affected cars.

There is no need to develop a Gen 1 fix, after the deadline has passed.
I don't think there is a need for a Gen 2 fix after the deadline, either.
Those cars will be off the road or the owners will just keep them as they are. (Or they will "fix" them their own way.)
Gen 3 is the current design, so I can see them coming up with a fix, regardless. Of course this is the one that probably won't take much time to correct, so nobody is worried about it. Gen 3 is the one that has a chance of actually meeting the EPA regs, and therefore could be installed in VWs going forward, if they choose to continue selling them here.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They can still, if they chose to do so, to try and come up with a fix, even after the time limit has passed though.
Question 1 why would "they" bother?
Question 2 why does it matter?

If the hard deadline date passes without a "fix" being approved then the "fix" option comes off the table, and anyone who has chosen "fix" will be given the option "buyback", and if they sit on the hands and do nothing, then they'll get nothing but they can keep on driving.

If they concoct a fix after the drop-dead deadline of the program ... so what? It doesn't do a whole lot of good if all of the relevant cars have either been smushed into little cubes or are on the road with owners who don't care.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Gen 3 is the current design, so I can see them coming up with a fix, regardless. Of course this is the one that probably won't take much time to correct, so nobody is worried about it. Gen 3 is the one that has a chance of actually meeting the EPA regs, and therefore could be installed in VWs going forward, if they choose to continue selling them here.
Gen 3 is also the one that actually has to meet the current EPA standards as opposed to relaxed requirements, and that's why the proposed Gen 3 fix is the most complex and is supposed to happen in two stages.