Fitting PD lift pump into Mk3 - bit confused!

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Got my lift pump today from Ryan (thanks mate!).The old level sensor had a large arrow embossed on the top that pointed to the front of the car.When i removed it i compared side by side to the PD pump.I positioned it so that the float rods were in the same relative position but this puts the arrow in a different place.So should i rotate it so that the arrow points forward?.does it really matter?

Oh,i haven't connected it up yet so i don't know how it's going to read.I've heard that i may have to bend the float rod slightly,is this the case or should it be fit and forget?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
You need to swap the resistor board from the ahu fuel sender to the pd fuel sender. The mk4 sender's use a completely different resistance range then the mk3 and earlier cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lug_Nut got mine to work in my A3. I don't think he had any trouble with resistance and the gauge, the big deal was getting the float positioned correctly so the gauge read right. Trial and error: Empty the tank, set float, add 2 gallons, set float, add two more, and so on.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the resistance board. We did experiment with other ones to get the gauge to read right. But I thought we ended up back with the A4 one that came with the pump.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I'll bet money on the board needing to be swapped :)

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
The failsafe mod has been done, I'm letting you do it first Ade and then i'll fit one to mine and my bro's, haha! take a load of pics for me.

Little Pickle

Veteran Member
TDI
Seat Arosa 1z TDI 150bhp/320NM
Mine just went straight into my 1z setup. Installation was pretty easy.

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
I got the wiring sorted this morning (ended up mounting the relay next to the battery,signal from the pump then one fused wire under the carpet to the back - no probs).The only way i could tell it was running is a few seconds of gurgling with ignition on.The sender read halfway but i knew from the old sender that the tank was quarter full so the float was resting on a hump somewhere.So i just slackened the clamp and slowly rotated until i got 1/4 again.This puts the arrow pointing out to the side.
I'll see how it goes when i fill up as it may still be out of calibration,if so i'll swap the boards over
I reckon it revs up faster but it's probably not - just because i read it on here first!.It did spew a ton of air bubbles through for the first few minutes though.

Last edited:

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
did you grease the fuel iines up before putting them back on . when i greased my lines up i had no air bubbles whatsoever

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the problem I had when i used a corrado fuel sending unit with a mk4 tdi cluster was that the ohms for a full tank on the corrado sending unit was what the mk4 cluster used for empty and the empty ohms on the corrado sending unit was what the mk4 cluster had for full. The resistance ranges were opposite. This is something that several swap people have run into. The b4 tdi cluster worked fine with the corrado sending unit.

Just my experience and why I think you might run into a problem.

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Just to report back on this and say that G60 is correct (not that i ever doubted you of course;)),after a few runs and fill up at the station,my gauge is going backwards!:D

Luckily i have a Mk3 sender so i'll swap over at the weekend.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
take a couple of pics of the orientation too!!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
here is the link to my photo album of my swap. There are a couple pictures of what I had to do #131-#139

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Have more users have problems with broken liftpumps I broke 2 pumps in 6 months.
The pumps just died after few months of driving maybe the pump can't handel the vp.
The pump get's hot and the electric engine died...
Please help with this. maybe a fuel bypass when the fuel pressure is above 0,5 bar ???

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry about that here is the link to the photo album: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CZtXDdy5asmM

Also I did was swap the mk4 resistor board into my Corrado fuel pump's sending unit. You will have to do the opposite and install the Mk3's resistor board onto the mk4's sending unit. It requires creativity and the desire to put the square peg in the round hole. Good Luck. :)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
This is not friendly to the b4v tdi tank.

It won't work unless you swap to a vr6 wagon tank and do some modifications to the pickup and the long lines. Not just the resister board because the tdi b4v fuel sender is 3" versus the 5-6" units EVERYONE else uses.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=309402

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
I have a (new to me) MK3 Golf TDI and I'm fitting a PD lift pump (with the failsafe mod).

The MK3 originally had a 1.8L 8v gas engine with a ~3 bar / 43 PSI lift pump.

Will the MK3's existing pump relay/wiring fry the ~6 PSI PD lift pump? Just thought I'd ask here before I whip out wiring diagrams and a multimeter :)

Thanks,
Mark

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Being a pump it should only draw the power it needs surely? It won't have a high voltage source or anything.