.:FIS Cluster

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
My dream came true today :)
Bought on ebay a W8 cluster, read some posts on how to convert it to Mk4, had to do some soldering and adding of the Resistors and 1 Capacitor and the result is a working FIS cluster

Recoded using 1J5920946C dump, adapted it to my car and it all worked smooth, even the Temp Gauge is working as it supposed to

Still working on trying to get the LED for Glowplug to work, soldered it on the board there but no juice, and the LCD more likely will have to be changed as well.

Any input will be appreciated

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
hoo looks like mine except for being red, it is very nice to have all that info.

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
turbocharged798 - ok so i added the LED but can you please point me out where does the Resistor go on the board?

Ok, so small update order the LCD replacement last week and it came in today, so i decided to replace it right away, I do not have mad soldering skills but it actually turned out pretty good

Here are some pics

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Ok, so since i had cluster out decided to make some updates

Edited the eeprom and enabled Wellcome message, as we as Lit needles, Gauges and Display looks pretty cool

Did some output test and tis amazing everything works :)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If you can, take a pic of the back of the cluster board. The resistor goes in the back.

When you do output tests, does it try to light up the GP LED?

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm...that board is a bit different than MFA clusters that I am used to.

This pad looks suspicious to me. *AT YOUR OWN RISK* Try dropping a 180 ohm resistor across where I circled and see if you get voltage at the LED pads when you run output tests in VCDS. You are supposed to use SMT resistors, but a regular through hole resistor will work if you bend the leads around in a hook shape. Won't look pretty but it should work fine.

If you still don't get voltage at the LED, then you will have to start tracing out the circuit and find out what is missing or if the resistor pad is in a different spot.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ok, so small update order the LCD replacement last week and it came in today, so i decided to replace it right away, I do not have mad soldering skills but it actually turned out pretty good
Link?!?! Cluster looks awesome!!!

DaveLinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Could you provide a link to the thread you used as a guide to modify the W8 cluster for your mk4? It looks like W8 clusters are way cheaper and cooler than legit mk4 half/full FIS clusters. I had put that project on my "someday" list, but if I can get a brand new OEM mk4 cluster for $45 from ECS and a used W8 cluster for $100 on ebay, I could end up with a basically brand new FIS cluster on the cheap.

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Well its all good so far, but still haven't figured out how to enable glowplug light

s1iver

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GTI GLX VR6
Could you provide a link to the thread you used as a guide to modify the W8 cluster for your mk4? It looks like W8 clusters are way cheaper and cooler than legit mk4 half/full FIS clusters. I had put that project on my "someday" list, but if I can get a brand new OEM mk4 cluster for $45 from ECS and a used W8 cluster for $100 on ebay, I could end up with a basically brand new FIS cluster on the cheap.
if you can find a W8 cluster for under $300 id be impressed.

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Yes i did didn't work actually, ill have to pull it out again when i have a bit more free time on my hands to work around and trace what else is missing

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
When you look into the led, there is a little horseshoe shape in the center. The open end always goes toward the positive pad.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Petrol and diesel clusters have one byte changed as well.

For VWK501MH software, all petrol clusters have 0x01EA = 7B and all diesel have 0x01EA = FB.

For VWK503MH software, the byte values are the same but located at 0x021C

This should enable the glowplug light (if you have LED and other bits added correctly).

:)

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I have loaded FIS TDI Cluster software from vagdashcom, rpm, speed all works fine, just the GP light ill pull out the cluster and check again the LED and resistors

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Listen to gioTDI and especially turbocharged798. They KNOW their stuff with these clusters.

Thank you both for your advise / help getting my glow plug light functional.