first turbo car owner

Wiegand88n

TDI
2011 LD7X Jetta TDI
I have 2011 MK6 LD7X TDI with CJAA and DSG.. since the European models have the cr170 as their stock turbo or so i read on the "internet". If i were to upgrade mine to the CR170 what other internal changes what i have to make as well besides the tune to the ECU?

Wiegand88n

TDI
2011 LD7X Jetta TDI
any response would be appreciated regarding the cr170 upgrade would be fine along side stock internals. or would i have to upgrade the fuel pump, and inercooler. like i said this is my first turbo car.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
The EGR outlet is on the drivers side of the car, your stock trubo's EGR outlet is on the passenger side so you will need a couple of block off plates. No need for fuel pump upgrade unless you are going for max HP.

What is your objective power wise?

Wiegand88n

TDI
2011 LD7X Jetta TDI
trying to get the torque close to 300 to 350 as a daily. i want the pwr but have have mixed feelings about it. right now im just focusing on handling and suspension. my biggest dilemma is deciding to go all show or a mixture of the two. ive also looked into the GLI body as i really like how the front opens up enough to put the license plate down there, instead of drilling into the front facia. since the GLI and jetta are visually identical.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Do not mod the EGR unless you can get the car programmed, your car will hit limp mode after a few miles. Adding block off plates will cause the limp mode as well.

If your planning to install a different turbo, and it involves having to block emission parts. You might as well need to delete them.
Or unless you can get the egr system that will be able to fit with the turbo.

Personally i think that if you need to add block off plates on part of the EGR you can cause some issues with the car down the road.
Specially since its an 2011.

With all honesty there is no guarantee the European model EGR's will even fit in your car, since their steering wheels are on the opposite side and so are some of the engine parts. This might be a tough one to tackle, you might try to compare schematics between both engines and make this determination.

Wiegand88n

TDI
2011 LD7X Jetta TDI
@Hayze believe it or not but you answered one of my questions i haven't asked. I am after the mpg's that the european cars are able to get. but atleast i can add it to my longterm goals. and again thanks.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
My experience with MKIV and latter TDI's is even with near maximum (without doing internals) hp modifications I get a big gain in fuel economy unless I use the power. And really there are no concerns with decreasing the life of the drive train because I don't abuse it.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
@Hayze believe it or not but you answered one of my questions i haven't asked. I am after the mpg's that the european cars are able to get. but atleast i can add it to my longterm goals. and again thanks.
Good deal! Glad to see this! I feel its usually best to overwrite responses in these forums rather give short answers in order to help not only the thread host, but others as well in case of other questions arise.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
However, your more interested in tackling better fuel mileage the Europeans get in their rides. Best i would think of for American TDI vehicles would be to buy aftermarket high flow exhaust, high flow muffler, aftermarket high flow DPF filter, and get it tuned for fuel economy.

Or you can also just start with a tune and see how it works for you. Just make sure the tune is not running the car too lean because it can cause engine knocking which is not good for a diesel. (Plus possibility of check engine light)

Tuning the car for fuel economy may have its draw backs on loosing some HP, but not a massive night and day difference if its tuned properly.