First Startup Tips

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
First, I apologize for posting this in "power enhancements," but I am not sure where this thread would be most appropriate. I figured the folks who look at these threads are most knowledgable about this topic.

I am asking for any tips from those of you who have done motor swaps or complete rebuilds.

I am cranking my engine over for the first time in approximately one year. It has sat semi-dry (no fuel or oil) for that time.

The engine is a 1Z.

I have changed the turbo to a VNT-15, the ECU is chipped (RC2)

There are mechanical gauges for boost, oil temp, and oil pressure.

I am using the freeware version of VAG-Com, and at this point have no errors.

At this point, all fluids are good, there is one bubble in the fuel line that moves during cranking.

Does anyone have any suggestions of critical things to look out for when starting under these conditions?

Is there a good way to check if the turbo is getting oil?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Well, I can help you out with the turbo oil issue as long as the 1Z has a fuel cutoff solenoid on the injection pump. If it does, remove the cutoff wire. This will allow it to crank without firing. Then just disconnect or loosten the oil line at the turbo, have someone crank and check for liquid gold coming out.

After reading your post again, I notice you say the bubble moves during cranking. How much cranking have you done and why hasn't it started yet? After it starts, just let it idle up to operating temp, then take the car out slowly let it build 3-5 psi a couple times and monitor things to make sure nothing "out of the ordinary" is going on. If after a couple boost building sessions you think it's ready, get on it. Turbos don't require mileage break-in's...

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
The 1Z does have a fuel cut-off solenoid.

I've done about 10 - 15 short cranks, letting the starter rest every 2 or 3.

It's getting a bit colder out but it's not really cold. It should be able to catch w/o the glow plugs, right? (they are connected, I'm trying to eliminate problems.)

I blead the fuel system up to the injection pump. The hard lines have never been removed, so I think there is fuel to start.

I'll go out and try cracking the turbo supply line. I made a new oil supply line, so it may take a few cranks just to get oil through it.

Regarding VAG-COM: I have some limited monitoring capability. Throttle position, RPM, air and oil temp, etc.

Thanks a bunch for your help. :)

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Lots of times, people need to crack the injector lines anyway from what I've seen on here. I never had to when I had an ALH. It would just fire up all day. I could remove lines, fuel filter, re-install and fire up within 10 seconds but some people have issues with air bubbles. It wouldn't hurt to crack the lines until fuel comes out, then tighten and repeat. (helps to have a helper cranking)

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
I cracked the turbo supply line and it's dry. Cranked it a few more time same deal. :(

There appears to be fuel moving into the return line. It was dry when I started. :cool:

Right now I am doing this alone. I can get some help tomorrow.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
There is now oil going to the turbo. Whew.

I'm going to call it for tonight. I'll have some help tomorrow.