First oil change in 400 mi - heart palpitations

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
2014 JSW TDI bought about 11 months ago.
the 10k service is a mere tank of diesel away.

So with much interest I read little other than horror stories about service at the dealership; wrong oil; no oil; other unimaginable things.

Haven't had a new car since the first Hyundai Excel hit the shores back in the 80s.

So I'm in the DC area on the line between PG and Monkey counties. I bought the car at Oursman VW by Ft. Meade.

Anyone have any experience with this dealership?
A recommended mechanic at this dealership?
Another mechanic at another dealership?

Can an independent do the 10k service (yeah, I'd have to pay for it) and still keep the warranty in tact?

Are there diesel gurus in the area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
frank

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
So with much interest I read little other than horror stories about service at the dealership; wrong oil; no oil; other unimaginable things.
Haven't had a new car since the first Hyundai Excel hit the shores back in the 80s.
So I'm in the DC area on the line between PG and Monkey counties. I bought the car at Oursman VW by Ft. Meade.
Can an independent do the 10k service (yeah, I'd have to pay for it) and still keep the warranty in tact?
frank
I bought mine new at King VW in Gaithersburg. They were very fair during the buying process and I got a great deal. Had both the 10k and 20k free scheduled maintence done there and was happy with the work. Since I'm a county fireman I'm a big believer in keeping my money in the county as much as possible to support the people that pay my salary. I Figured I've give them a chance with the 30k and so far I haven't had any problems with their work. It always seems to be done correctly and honestly (had them pull an oil sample at 30k and they are indeed using the right oil per Blackstone Labs lol). I used some of my VW goodwill cash to purchase the 40/50k service plan ($719 for both services w/dsg - the 40k is $689 alone). I'm using the rest of the money to get new tires. They were willing to price match the Tire Rack price.

Though I've had several different advisors, Dustin has worked with me the last few times and I'm going to start scheduling all my work with him. I've read the horror stories about other dealerships treating TDI owners like crap but I haven't had that problem. Dustin has always been super cool with me and he's a car enthusiast himself. I've found if you treat the advisors with respect and aren't overly demanding they're more then happy to work with you and help you out.

If you're looking for an independent, S2 Dynamics on Parklawn Dr in Rockville is really good and they specialize in VW/Audi products. My roommate uses them exclusively and has had a lot of custom work done to his tuned track ready Jetta at S2.

And yes some days it does indeed feel like Monkey county. :p

Last edited:

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Dealers only good for sales, and warranty work.
DIY or indy that specializes in the VW & Audi.
The last time that I got an oil and filter change.
When I checked the oil 1/2 quart low. If the dealer
techs can't get an oil change correct.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

frank

I think I purchased oil and filter there once a couple years ago.

there is no reason to limit choices to dealers, if you want records, keep purchase records for the oil and filters you buy, and for the service.

wrc777

TDI
2014 Jetta TSI
I believe legally speaking there is no requirement to have oil changed at the dealer to preserve your warranty unless the manufacturer pays for the service...so it is up to you but VW could try to weasel out of a warranty claim if you did not do the free service. On the other hand my first free service the oil was at least a quart low after the service.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
The dealer wanted me to come in at 5k - 1/2 the interval suggested by VW for a "free" service. That, I know, would not have affected the warranty.
I will end up making the 10k warranty call at the dealer, but will go in with EYES OPEN, request their diesel mechanic, make sure the oil is spec'd on the work order, and will check the level on their apron before driving off.

I'm not comfortable, but am unwilling to risk the warranty (or go through a gauntlet to prove I'm in compliance) especially in light of this emissions brou-ha-ha.

Thanks for all the fish...
frank

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The 5k OCI is a money grab for the dealers and they try to upsell you on Service. You CAN do all maintenance yourself that the car will ever require over its entire life and not void warranty, provided the work is done properly. Keep records of all work done and keep all receipts for parts purchased. If you should have a problem that you're trying to get fixed under warranty and the dealer wants to deny warranty coverage, they are on the hook to prove that the problem you are trying to get fixed under warranty was caused by what you did. This is all described in the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (federal law). So go ahead and DIY if your are capable and don't worry about warranty coverage. The outcome of the dieselgate scandal won't change anything regarding DIY maintenance and warranty coverage.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rustydog

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Yeah what they all said.
Seriously though, we all dislike the dealerships, but are there ACTUAL examples of where the dealership botches a oil change!? Especially on this year and model. I mean, its the easiest oil change I have ever done in my life (using a extractor of course). I drunken retarded monkey could do it.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
A dealer smashed up my new TDI on the first visit, at only 6 months. Bend the rear axle and moderate rear-left body damage. They would not repair it themselves, sent it to a nearby body shop.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The dealer replaced the coolant temperature sensor on the Golf under warranty many years ago now. I was following my wife out of the lot when I noticed something leaking from the car. It took me a block or so to get her attention and make the u-turn back to the dealer. I watched with the service manager as the "technician" who did the work removed the engine cover and discovered that he had not installed the retaining clip for the CTS. It was sitting right there on the plenum cover.