Finding a new battery?

dlmnrw

Seems like very few batteries will fit a Jetta TDI. The original batttery is from Varta which doesn.t sell batteries in the USA. I could try the VW dealer but they will charge an arm and a leg. Any suggestions about a source of batteries that will fit and can produce the 80 Amphours of the original battery would be appreciated.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
if you are located in the USA, search on: "94R", "battery" or "Batteries Plus" !

welcome to Freddie's!

99.5J4

Interstate

look up Interstate batteries. mine is 3 years old and still putting out over 800 cca.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Interstate batteries are the best, and Consumer Reports agrees. The reason is because of how they rate thier batteries cold cranking amps. Most battery companies rate thier batteries cold cranking amps at 32 degrees Far. Interstate rates thier batteries cold cranking amps at 0 degrees Far. That is a huge difference of 32 degrees colder. I am supposed to be getting my new Interstate battery for my TDI next week. Don't save money by getting a cheaper brand. You will always be satisfied with an Interstate battery, especially if you have a diesel.

TMielke2

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, 1999 New Beetle
RedTDIOwner

What is the the product number of the battery your are getting? My local guy said his interstate info speced a 640 CCA battery.

99.5J4

What is the part number of your battery?

Thanks
Tom

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
TMielke2 said:
RedTDIOwner

What is the the product number of the battery your are getting? My local guy said his interstate info speced a 640 CCA battery.

99.5J4

What is the part number of your battery?

Thanks
Tom
I TT the interstate rep personally. I have one in my office as we speak.

I have bought 6 so far for clients this fall. $135 each.
Part Number MTP-H7 640 CCA 94R 85 month warranty.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Not New Beetles - they require a Group 48 of about the same CCA / amp-hr reserve as the 94 that the other cars get.

99.5J4

Interstate

MTP-91 is the battery i purchased. i just went with the philosophy of tim taylor. more power.

i replace all batteries with interstate and never worry about them.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
East Penn - Deka makes a 94R battery. Look on its web site for a retailer. Note that Douglas, which has previously been mentioned as having a group 94R battery, sold its auto battery division to East Penn - Deka.

There is a mythical AutoZone Duralast 94R battery. But when I asked about it at the local AutoZone, they said that their computer lists a group 47 for TDI engine cars. AutoZone does have a Duralast 48 battery (the size for New Beetle TDI cars).

Some BMWs use group 94R batteries, but BMW dealers are unlikely to be any less expensive than VW dealers.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The thing is whatever battery you get make sure it is serviceable. The sealed ones are crap. Your battery will last a lot longer when you can routinely (3 mos) add water too it.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
I just picked up a car battery at NAPA yesterday. They had the correct model in stock. It's a hair smaller than the stock battery, but fits perfect.

Loved that orginal Varta battery in my car. It lasted 6 years!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The Battery in Mom's 2000 Jetta TDI failed last night! It was cranking sluggishly the past couple of days and would not start after being driven for two hours, turned off for 5 minutes and restarted, the solinoid just clattered. It may have been because the headlights were on, but the battery is nearly gone. Car was made in Nov. 1999, so bingo, six year battery life to the month!

--Nate

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I just replaced the battery that came in my Jetta. It was a 5 year group 48 battery from Battery Warehouse in Westminster, MD, so I assume someone misread the chart and put a gasser battery in. It only lasted 34 months, so I got a credit and got the proper 94R this time. They had them in stock, so there was no delay or other issues.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Group 48 is the same battery the TDI NB gets - so, while it wasn't the "right" size - it WAS adequate to the job...

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
99.5J4 said:
MTP-91 is the battery i purchased. i just went with the philosophy of tim taylor. more power.

i replace all batteries with interstate and never worry about them.
I am supposed to get my Interstate Battery this week and the MTP-91 is the battery they said was listed for my 2002 Jetta TDI. It has 700 CCA versus the 640 CCA from the MTP-H7 94R which someone on here listed on as the correct battery for TDI's. My guess is that they will both work fine. I will just be getting 60 more CCA with the 91 over the 94. I just hope the 91 fits in the battery case under my hood without it having to be modified.

vaxick said:
I just picked up a car battery at NAPA yesterday. They had the correct model in stock. It's a hair smaller than the stock battery, but fits perfect.

Loved that orginal Varta battery in my car. It lasted 6 years!
My understanding is that you do not want to wait until your battery dies before you replace it. As the battery gets old and weaker it causes your alternator to work harder trying to keep it charged. You can actually burn up a good alternator by trying to get the most life out of your old battery. My stock battery is only 4 years old but I am replacing it now before I have problems so I can prolong the life of my alternator.

Last edited:

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
RedTDIowner said:
My understanding is that you do not want to wait until your battery dies before you replace it. As the battery gets old and weaker it causes your alternator to work harder. You can actually burn up a good alternator by trying to get the most life out of your old battery. My stock battery is only 4 years old but I am replacing it now before I have problems to prolong the life of my alternator.
It didn't show any signs of going until a few weeks ago. It was just one of those odd batteries that lasted much longer than they normally do.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
The group 48 will fit just fine in place of the 94R, and is a hell of a lot easier to find. It's identical except for an inch or two less width. Just make sure it has sufficient CCA.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I just got mine replaced by the dealer and it only cost me $140. installed.
I only could find one parts store that even could order one in and wasn't sure when it would get in.

I was pleasently shocked at the dealer when I got the bill. I expected a whole lot more just for the battery, let alone the install.

Cya, Joe