feedback on 100% bio suppliers

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Do you want to store 55+ gallons of fuel at home? Have you checked your fire code? There is a lot of wink-wink nudge-nudge when it comes to this but especially if you live 'in the city' I would make sure.

The fire code here in Phoenix is pretty ridiculous and it doesn't help that the local fire marshal has a special kind of love (read attention) for biodiesel.

I never got questioned on my home 250 Gallon 'bio-shed' but I knew darn well I was pushing the limits of 'it's not fuel'. When I moved I sold my home fuel station.

Anyways, I did a quick look and found 4 Public Biodiesel station in San Jose you could check in on:

http://www.altfuelprices.com/stations/BD/California/San-Jose/

Good Luck!

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
i had a whole dedicated shed, 12v powered and solar charged. My local bio producer would deliver it 200+ gallons at a time:

It was primarily just for the TDI but I would get my Powerstoke driving friends to come take a dose now and then to help burn it off. It helped when I bought 250 gallons before fuel shot up $1.50+ one year. Suddenly they all wanted fuel :cool:.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
what timing, i literally just got off the phone with Bob Brown, talked to him at length. it's a bit different that there's a credit app + $25 credit app fee, + $20 year membership fee. added cost and credit check doesn't phase me as long as quality is good, and they'll "be around"... so asked if I could test a sample before signing up. He was cool about it and will meet up with me on thursday.
Ruking, do you use them? how long? good stuff?
thanks
Mike
Yes, it is a "stand up place" ! They normally service the transportation/industrial industry ! Let me know how the visit goes. Glad it is a mile or less from where you go regularly.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Zombie thread.
I was aware of the dates. I don't consider a thread just a little over a year old in this little visited area of the forum to be "zombie." Especially if those who commented in it are still active members. Thanks though.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
thanks for the update. i've been keeping my eye on what's going on... it's super frustrating to see how things have been unfolding the last year or so... today, i'm still filling up on b99 @ western for $4.30 gallon (compared to $2.99 for d2). major biodiesel refineries in n.ca - blue sky and yakao- went belly-up.... dogpatch in sf has no employees/warm bodies @ the station anymore. in the past i'd feel inclined to launch into some political diatribe, but it doesn't do any good... you're either preaching to the choir, or, if you're not, you get side tracked into an argument about the president and his birth certificate...
Damn, I didn't know about those refineries closing. Its really some sad stuff! I've never been to Dogpatch, but have been to Green Station in Santa Cruz, Biofuel Oasis in Berkeley, and Yokayo in Norcal. A changing landscape with the new diesel vehicles that can't run it, and now these potential new regulations that seem like they might even wipe out B20 at retail pumps. I'm usually a fan of clean air regulation, but CARB is really going crazy with this. I just can't imagine the small market segment of biodiesel use is just completely going to upset the NOx emissions in the state's atmosphere. It's like they're trying to kill the CA biodiesel industry.

It seems the places in PNW are still staying afloat and have B100 at much more competitive prices with ULSD (based on our recent road trip to Oregon). Don't know how they are being effected by new diesel tech though.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
hmmm... propel fuels, who normally carries B20 in the bay area, is now selling "diesel HPR" instead of B20...

http://dieselhpr.com/learn-more
Wow, that's very interesting. I think that might be part of a pilot program that I read about with Propel a while back. If you look at the CARB stuff that is going down, they seem to be pushing to have traditionally brewed biodiesel replaced by these kinds of next gen renewable fuels (which are not subject to the same CARB requirements because they are equivalent or better than ULSD as far as the NOx requirement and all other pollutants).

EDIT: No, the pilot program was with Solazyme. This is something totally different. http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdige...s-a-monster-hit-in-propel-fuels-retail-trial/

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Too bad no locations offering it in SoCal. How does the price compare?