Faults found during a scan but I couldn't trace them

ytk

TDI
MK3
Hi,
This 3 faults came up in a recent scan. After reading here and physically checking I couldn't pin point the problem, no light came on and the car seems to run just like before. 99 AEY (Europe) engine.
The faults:

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-00 -
00626 - Glow Plug Indicator Light (K29)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
03-00 - No Signal

Could the glow plug issue actually only be the indicator light itself? Engine starts smoothly.

Crank shaft sensor: I unplugged the the electric connector of the sensor while engine running and it stopped so sensor is probably ok?

Missing something?

Thanks,
YTK

ytk

TDI
MK3
No I did not clear them, will it make any difference? No dash light came one it was just a random scan I did.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Did I post in the wrong place or is it not familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The faults:

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-00 -
00626 - Glow Plug Indicator Light (K29)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
03-00 - No Signal

Could the glow plug issue actually only be the indicator light itself? Engine starts smoothly.

Crank shaft sensor: I unplugged the the electric connector of the sensor while engine running and it stopped so sensor is probably ok?

Missing something?

Thanks,
YTK
First, the sensor issue was undoubtedly caused by you unplugging the sensor with the engine running. Clear the code and you should be OK.
Second, any fault that says "intermittent" can usually be safely cleared. If the fault doesn't come back, don't worry about it. If the fault code does come back, then it is worth troubleshooting.

The one I am curious about is the first one. It says that engine start blocked by immobilizer, but you say that it starts smoothly. Perhaps this is something that happened a while ago? Anyway, I would start by clearing all of the codes and then driving around for a while and then scan again to see if any of them come back. Sometimes "stuff" just happens.

Did I post in the wrong place or is it not familiar to anyone?
Probably the OBDII forum would have been a better place to post this question.

Have Fun!

Don

ytk

TDI
MK3
Hi Don, Thanks for the replay! The speed sensor I only unplugged after reading the fault to try and understand if the sensor is really to blame.
I did not clear the codes (new to this) but I will definitely do so now and re scan. Maybe the Immobilizer thing will also go away. I never changed anything related maybe its the previous owner.

YTK

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Almost sounds like there was a bad 109 relay and it got replaced but the codes weren't cleared.