Failed sway bar link, front and rear, 2013 passat tdi

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have not had a failure personally. I am planning on doing a swaybar replacement soon, so it concerns me. If there are aftermarket options that are better, I would do it at the same time.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have not had a failure personally. I am planning on doing a swaybar replacement soon, so it concerns me. If there are aftermarket options that are better, I would do it at the same time.
If I was to do this all over again and know what I know now(40/40 hindsight) I would have installed the Neuspeed links at the same time. Best of luck ;)

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Is there any way to test if the sway bar links are bad? I'm hearing a popping noise from behind the driver side tire when I go from reverse to forward, or accelerate from a stopped position. Sounds like this may be the same problem I have as well.

Also, someone mentioned that the replacement is covered under warranty... is that the bumper to bumper warranty or drive train warranty? I'm at 52k miles and only have the drive train warranty now.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Doubtful that this is a warranty replacement part. It's not drive train, but bumper to bumper.
A good dealer would be willing to discuss sharing the cost, though, as this part shouldn't have failed at 52k miles.

...all of this is conjecture, of course, until you determine WHAT is causing your suspension noises. It might not be the sway bar links.

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
just had my sway bar links replaced on the 2013 passat tdi at 49k miles. complete stock set up. i do not think of myself as a harsh driver but my commute does include a mile to and from home on a dirt road (well graded btw) every day.

it sounded like a heat shield or muffler to me i was surprised to find out that it was a part of the suspension as there was no loss of control or wandering while driving.

$296 usd at the dealer done in no extra time when in for a 50k service. (ouch)

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
The dealer replaced my rears under warranty. I have since replaced the fronts and rears with OEM myself. Even though I am still in warranty. it's easier (and cheaper) to do the links at my convenience.

Will look at the Neuspeed next as I am due to replace them again this summer (if past performance is indicative of future results).

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
Does neuspeed or anyone make nice aftermarket fronts as well? Also any thoughts on how these are affected by those of us that lowered their vehicles?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'll have to look at our car, but so far everything on the suspension is original and working at 85,000 miles.

-J

flamingolegs

TDI
2015 Passat SE
I think I have all you guys beat. I just bought my 2015 Passat SE TDI this past Sunday I have put 60 miles on the clock. It has a clunking noise coming from the front drivers side when I go over bumps. I'll be at the dealer later this morning.:eek:

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
had the dealer replace one on the front and one rear on my car, about 50000km.

also just had front driver wheel bearing replaced at 70k

2012 passat

flamingolegs

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Update. My car went up and down the lift seven times. Three techs pulling and rocking couldn't find the source of the clunk. They give me a loaner and send me away. I get a call at 7:00P.M telling me they can't fix it until a Volkswagen Representative from quality inspects it on Tuesday.

Here's the funny part they want me to drive it as is until the Rep is onsite. So I would make yet another trip to the dealer. They said its safe but don't know what's loose. REALLY...Let's not forget I bought the car five days ago and have less than 100 miles.

Well I *****ed and said I will not take possession until the problem is resolved. Seems like they want me to put mileage on it incase the issue is worse to avoid lemon law.

I hope they fix it because I really like the car.

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
This is random. I'm glad I found this thread. I've had the front end clunk but have yet been able to diagnose. I'm at 60k.

Under similar conditions, I've had an occasional clunk from the rear since 10k. The dealer was unable to diagnose, but noted it. I doubt they'll replace them now, and to be honest, it's not wort the hassle when I could do them at home in a couple of hours.

FYI, the more rugged Moog parts are on Rock Auto for about 20-25 a corner plus shipping.

Thanks to OP for posting.

Kyle

flamingolegs

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Update guys, The still have my car! They replaced springs no help. However it did get fixed after 8 days at the dealer. Guess what it was?????

End links!:eek: 8 days for end links! only 66 miles on the car, beat that.

They gave me a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI to drive. It wasn't bad I put 600 miles on it ha ha.

hawkz

TDI
'13 Passat TDI
This is random. I'm glad I found this thread. I've had the front end clunk but have yet been able to diagnose. I'm at 60k.

Under similar conditions, I've had an occasional clunk from the rear since 10k. The dealer was unable to diagnose, but noted it. I doubt they'll replace them now, and to be honest, it's not wort the hassle when I could do them at home in a couple of hours.

FYI, the more rugged Moog parts are on Rock Auto for about 20-25 a corner plus shipping.

Thanks to OP for posting.

Kyle
Would you mind telling me what part number for the front pieces? I've narrowed the search down to "Tie Rod Ends" but that's all.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
K80478? Says for fronts and rears its for 2006-2014 Passats plus many other Audi-VW's. So not a new part.

My fronts failed under warranty, maybe 40,000KM's, bad clunk in rear now, likely rears are bad.

Don

hawkz

TDI
'13 Passat TDI
Awesome. Thanks!

What's your opinion on this...I have 2k more miles before my 30k free maintenance. That should be about 2 months out. Went to Vegas this weekend and there was plenty of knocking every time the accelerates, turns, and goes over bumps. Should I wait it out or should I just go to the dealership now?

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
The Neuspeed links cost $300. Roughly 5x more than the stockers. I believe I will just stay with stock and change mine every 18 months or so as needed.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Awesome. Thanks!

What's your opinion on this...I have 2k more miles before my 30k free maintenance. That should be about 2 months out. Went to Vegas this weekend and there was plenty of knocking every time the accelerates, turns, and goes over bumps. Should I wait it out or should I just go to the dealership now?
I say go now unless another 2 months of listening to that clunk doesn't bother you.

hawkz

TDI
'13 Passat TDI
Now that I'm back home, I don't hear it as much. It was much more prevalent having to go over so many hotel's speed bumps in Vegas. I don't think waiting will harm the car--that's my primary concern.

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
2015 TDI. Front left sway bar link fail. Fixed under warranty. Clunking and rattling noise. 7500 miles

omegis

TDI
'13 Passat
Anyone have instructions on replacing the rear end links? Mine are shot and I'm outside my warranty. Also, just ordered the Moogs from Rock Auto.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Checked it today, mine is failed on right rear. Pic below, if you think of it as a ball and socket, the ball is on the left, socket on right. It was clunking.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
So I got 2 new Nascar Performance links, made by Moog, at Cdn Tire, lifetime warranty. Same part number for both but one made in USA, the other in Germany.

The USA one came with 2 new nuts, 15MM for top and bottom, and a new bolt, used on the lower end.

The German one came with a locking nut, and no new bolt.

The old one has a 16MM nut on top and a 17MM nut on the bottom. The top one has a "double torx" that locks it on, but I was able to get a set of vise grips on the ball and got that off. Only one of mine was bad, I haven't changed the good one yet.

The bad one just failed on the "socket" part, it just let go. No wear marks at all on the "ball" itself.

Don

omegis

TDI
'13 Passat
Replaced the two rear end links today. Ordered Moog brand from RockAuto. Same part numbers but they looked slightly different from each other. Anyway, took under an hour taking the old links out and contorting the new links into place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
By the way, the tool you need (and for lots of other stuff on a VW) that I call a double torx, is called a "triple square". If you need this just google triple square tool.

Don

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I too am experiencing rattling sounds coming from front lower ends both sides, when either front wheel meets a bump.

Is there a way to diagnose the problem/ or inspect the links before buying the replacement, I pulled on them but do not feel any play.

Is it one of those things you just take a channce and replace them and hope for the best ?

thank you

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Replaced the two rear end links today. Ordered Moog brand from RockAuto. Same part numbers but they looked slightly different from each other. Anyway, took under an hour taking the old links out and contorting the new links into place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same experience here with two fronts. Same Moog number, but two different labels. One was "euro" the other was not. The Euro version had a closed end the other had an open end. I only needed to replace the driver's side, so I used that one, and waiting on rockauto about exchanging me the "euro" version for the one I Haven't used yet.

K.

stephane

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Would you mind telling me what part number for the front pieces? I've narrowed the search down to "Tie Rod Ends" but that's all.
Front Sway Bar Link

Moog K80478

Rear Sway Bar Link

Moog K80482

Stephane