Failed DPF „Passive“ Regeneration (TDI 1.6)

w3land

TDI
Dear everyone,

Would you be willing to do some analysis on the DPF issue/confusion (there is also some info on premium diesel) ?
I bought a used VW Golf 2012 TDI 1.6 (diesel, 165 000km real mileage), and I wanted to do a passive regeneration while driving on the highway for the second time. I played around with this newly purchased software called "VAG DPF" that shows live data of DPF related values (via Vgate iCar Pro OBD). Once the engine reached normal 90 degrees, I proceeded to drive in 4th gear and kept the revs at ~2400rpm, later on in 3d at ~2900rpm for ~45 minutes: the result is my app did not show the value "Soot Mass Calc (g)" as decreasing, but it just kept steadily increasing (although at a slower pace than in the city). The purpose of a failed passive regeneration to my knowledge is "DPF Output Gas Temp" did not reach the required ~500°C, but only peaked at 300°C at while staying mostly at ~250°C. Are these exhaust temps abnormal when engine is rev'ed high?

The attached link below is a screenshot of VAG DPF software live data screen before my attempt at passive regeneration. It says "86 km since last regeneration" - if the regen did happened 86 km ago, I can not confirm 100% it and I did not have the software then, but I did do a ~30 minute drive at ~2500rpm on the highway with regular diesel. This time, however, I had the software in hand I had the tank with 50% premium diesel (with additives) and 50% regular diesel. Now the deal with premium diesel here in Lithuania is some people are afraid of it, because some people, including my father who bought a used volvo, have destroyed their catalytic converters by fully clogging it with the loosened debris from the engine after filling with premium fuel. That is why I filled my tank only with 50% of premium fuel this time, since I do not know the state of the engine internals. a.k.a. I take it easy on the cleaning of the internals in the first few runs.

THE QUESTION IS - what are the conditions that need to be met for passive regeneration to happen/ for exhaust temperatures to get to 500C?

The general talk around here is that only a few gas stations provide with a decent quality regular diesel, one of them is fuel from "PkN Orlen". So I bought the premium fuel from there, just as my father did (and does)

(EGR was 100% closed at ~3000rpm)

Thank you!

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
You need to put a good load on the engine for passive regen. For instance, going up a mountain, or driving really fast. I think you were not driving fast enough?

w3land

TDI
You need to put a good load on the engine for passive regen. For instance, going up a mountain, or driving really fast. I think you were not driving fast enough?
Thanks for your reply.
So you would say that 3k rpm at 80km/h could be not enough? I was on the impression that it's more to do with revs instead of plain speed?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
You need heat. Meaning you need horse power.
At 80km/h on a flat road, you don't use a lot of HP, no matter the engine RPM.
Try 130+ km/h