Extended Warranty on 04 Touareg TDI? Need Advice!

kareohr

TDI
Touareg TDI, Jetta TDI, Golf TDI
Hi all,

My husband and I recently purchased a 2004 Touareg TDI. Its got 48K miles on it, so we don't have much time before we run out of our manufacturer's warranty.

We are interested in purchasing an extended warranty and was wondering who else out there has gone through this, either with a Touareg or another vehicle?

We got the price from the dealership...a 4-year, 48K extended warranty is $2995.

Is this price negotiable? Has anyone negotiated the price of the warranty with a dealer before?

Alternatively, are there other reputable companies out there who do extended warranties? We would be interested in the "bumper to bumper"...the one that covers the most amount possible. Having had to replace my Jetta TDI engine last month due to damaged cam lifts and rockers because the previous owner used conventional oil in it for 110K miles...we are pretty sensitive to things breaking. We dont' want any more $7K auto bills. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice on extended warranties!

Karyn

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
kareohr said:
....We are interested in purchasing an extended warranty and was wondering who else out there has gone through this, either with a Touareg or another vehicle?

We got the price from the dealership...a 4-year, 48K extended warranty is $2995…..

Hello I just Purchased a VW extended Warranty from Chris Farnham of Volkswagen of Langhorne, Pa. His quote for a 7 year (starting from Jan. of the year your car was built.. in this case 2004) or 100,000 mile VW warranty for my Passat TDI was much cheaper than what your dealership quoted. Talk to him and he’ll give you a quote.

See thread for more info:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=143126&highlight=maintenance+schedule+2005

Hope this helps!

kareohr

TDI
Cool, thanks! I normally am not one for fluffy "add ins" by the dealer, but I do know how much Touareg parts cost...yikes. We will be busy enough with new tires, oil changes, etc...if a couple of parts break we are going to be screwed. LOL.

I will talk to this guy to see what he'll quote me. Do you know if his warranties are bumper to bumper?

Thanks again...

Karyn

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
kareohr said:
... Do you know if his warranties are bumper to bumper?

Thanks again...

Karyn
The one I purchased to some extent... Yes. But there are some parts that are not covered. There are also different packages with different levels of coverages. Talk to him and he'll answer the questions you have.

Good Luck

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some peop;le will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay. Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price. They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the $500 then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money.

Good Luck

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Normally extended warranties are a waste of money...

However, Touareg parts aren't commonly available from the aftermarket, and technologically it's a very advanced vehicle with potential for astronomic repair bills...

So... I'd see what Chris has to say... He's provided excellent service to the folks around here, and I'd say you have a better chance to get a good deal through him than through your most local dealerships...

Good luck,

Yuri.

kareohr

TDI
FYI: Follow-up

All,

Just thought I would let you know i spoke with Chris. Got a Platinum (limited bumper to bumper) extended warranty for $2200.

This is for a Touareg TDI with 48K miles on it currently. The warranty is the VW-backed "Real Driver" warranty. Its good until 100K miles. We wanted no deductible so that's why its more. It would be $325 less for a $100 deductible...but 3 services and you've paid for that, and I"m anticipating more than 3 services in the next 4 years, especially on the Touareg. The warranty also includes towing up to $75, rental car up to $35/day and travel up to $75/day if you break down more than 100 miles from home.

Anyway I just wanted to let everyone know in case they are interested in the Extended warranty as well. True to you guys' word, Chris was great to deal with. Thanks for the recommendation (you saved me $800 for an even better warranty).

Karyn

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Glad things worked out for the best !!!

BTW: I'm sure a small donation to the TDI-Club would be appreciated by Fred... Click on the "Thank You" link at the top of the page... (that's not aimed just at you... it goes for others reading this as well...)

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, etc.)

All the best,

Yuri.