EXTENDED RANGE fuel TANKS

parapilotmark

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I found only a little on this subject. I added 2/ 40 gallon fuel tanks to my Land Cruiser (800-1000miles per fill). Best mod I have ever made. Now, I just obtained a 2011 Golf TDI. Looking to find if anybody can point me in a direction to a larger fuel tank or adding an aux tank?

Why do I need the extended tank?
  1. Always buy the cheap fuel. It's the only mod that will pay itself off.
  2. Bladder stops before fuel stops.
  3. Peace of mind when driving long distances.
  4. Again, this mod saves more money than you would think.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm in Las Vegas.

Mark

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
We have a few threads on it, mostly older. The two I remember were (1) using a "spare-tire" tank from a greasecar kit (but only the tank, plumbed into the fuel tank with an additional pump), and a custom made trunk tank, it was a rectangle and took up the floor of a Golf trunk. The issues were tank size (not that large), weight (may need different rear springs, and weight penalty on fuel efficiency), and problems with fuel flow into the main fuel tank. Of course, you could just get a B4 Passat Wagon: RIP TDI went 1,407 miles on less than his stock 25 gallon tank.
Someone might have these threads saved, otherwise you'll have to search.

parapilotmark

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I saw those threads. Customs seems the way to go. Weight of diesel is about 7lbs/gal. So if you’re adding 20 gal, it’s only 140 lbs of weight, not including the tank. Still less than 2 adults in the back seat. I’ll be doing some more research. I’ll post what my final option is. I’ll include cost and photos.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Try this on for size 😂

parapilotmark

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Try this on for size 😂
:p That's amazing. Very utilitarian :ROFLMAO:

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
Yes, having a large (25+ gallon) capacity definitely helps save money. When fuel prices are just starting to go up, fill and keep above 1/2 full until it gets near the fuel price peak. Then go as long as possible on your existing tank to avoid having to fill up again until prices are much lower. If you can go a month without refueling, the prices will be at least a $1 cheaper or more and you also miss having to buy fuel at the peak price.

It is not just about money, if everyone did this, the supply versus demand in the US would be much more even and would prevent the sharply rising prices when OPEC drops production. Ideally a hundred gallon supply capacity (with a 75 gallon home tank) would really smooth out the supply curves.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If the main goal is to save money, it seems like it would make more sense to get a 250 gallon tank or two installed at your house, and fill those up when you think fuel is cheap.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have an unused Grease Car tank in my Jetta, if you want to come and get it- which means removing it yourself, you may have it. Free.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I don't think my bladder or legs have ever said I wish I could go another 400 miles. I understand the desire to fill at a lower price and not have to deal with the spikes but agree with turbobrick240. If you really want to try to "outsmart" the market shifts, then a home storage tank would make the most sense. Of course, you'd need to check the prevailing laws and neighborhood restrictions for such storage. I will add that I'd sure like that new 33 gallon tank on my Ram instead of the 26 gallon tank that came standard.