What did you do to your MKIV today?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
For sure you have an injector leak between the head and the injector body at the copper washer. Soot would only come from combustion gases.

The good news is you don't have to fiddle with the hardline nut and line itself anymore - they're not the cause of your problem.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Cleaned and ceramic coated my headlights and fixed the last couple of inspection issues. Also pulled the 50 gallon fuel transfer tank out of the trunk... the PO had put it in the trunk in the spare tire well. I had issues with the brake lights and it was in the way, so I pulled it back out. That was fun! They had cut the parcel shelf behind the back seats to make it be able to go in and had damaged the wires, which shorted out and blew the fuse. Repaired that all and the tail lights work now. Also need to figure out the low power issue. I know some is due to it being deleted with no tune. The vacuum lines were all a rats nest as well. But I'm driving it for work now.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles

Mozambiquer

TDI
Hmm wow, I wonder how those rear springs are holding up?
Also they did a real premium job hacking that thing in there... sheesh
I'm not sure, I sure could feel it with only about 15 gallons in it, as thats how much was in it. It was nice to get the free fuel.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Put her back in and fill her up .... I see a cannonball contender in the making! ;-)

Andrew
Yeah, except I am not doing the cannonball, as fun as that sounds.
It was never actually connected, just sitting back there taking up all of the trunk space.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
OMG that is ridiculous hahahhahahahahaha
I'm in agreement with Guthrie. I like my setup better - 90 gallon aluminum tank and a 35 gallon auxillary poly tank (but not filled to capacity) on my trailer. The only cut I've cut up is my Ute that'll probably never be finished...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
So what I did a few days ago - Thursday to be precise. Finally swapped out my Bilstein B8's on the 2000 Golf with Koni Yellows and new Neuspeed sofsport springs (got the Konis from a fellow TDIclub member, but as a set of three, and bough the missing strut from @BleachedBora ). The car definitely rides a lot smoother now but still sporty, which is perfect for mom, as she's getting this car after I replace the windshield and swap the clutch/replace the rear main seal this week or next week.

Best part? The gal I'm dating helped/watched. It's the second time she's helped me do TDI repair and found it interesting, so that alone is a keeper!

hans_gruber0

TDI
03' ALH wagon 5 speed
Wow good call on the injector nut thank you.
Been through this once before where I was squeamish about overtorquing injector bolts while hot swapping injectors and had forgotten what caused it.

Tapped on the piece that holds the injector in with a punch a bit, retightened to 15 ft lb and it reduced the amount of air coming out. Now none so it must've sealed itself up with soot.
I'll have to make a vacuum hose attachment for shop vac to use brass/nylon brush to clean out the injector seats properly and install new copper injector seals.

After getting all center console and kick panel trim back in after gauge install now dealing with headlight bulbs and replacing glowplug harness that fell apart from rubber becoming gummy while bleeding injector lines. Previous owner had the highest end SZXE bulbs in it and both low beams went out within a few days. They were $75 at retail parts store so I put silverstar ultra's (still $60 after tax) in and wow even with perfectly clean lenses I'm liable to total out the car by not seeing deer at night.

It appears alot of people here run the e-code headlights that are out of stock from Midwest Light Creations
I've had the euro headlight switch installed and these sitting around for 6 months so it's about time to figure out how to wire them up

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Wow good call on the injector nut thank you.
Been through this once before where I was squeamish about overtorquing injector bolts while hot swapping injectors and had forgotten what caused it.

Tapped on the piece that holds the injector in with a punch a bit, retightened to 15 ft lb and it reduced the amount of air coming out. Now none so it must've sealed itself up with soot.
I'll have to make a vacuum hose attachment for shop vac to use brass/nylon brush to clean out the injector seats properly and install new copper injector seals.

After getting all center console and kick panel trim back in after gauge install now dealing with headlight bulbs and replacing glowplug harness that fell apart from rubber becoming gummy while bleeding injector lines. Previous owner had the highest end SZXE bulbs in it and both low beams went out within a few days. They were $75 at retail parts store so I put silverstar ultra's (still $60 after tax) in and wow even with perfectly clean lenses I'm liable to total out the car by not seeing deer at night.

It appears alot of people here run the e-code headlights that are out of stock from Midwest Light Creations
I've had the euro headlight switch installed and these sitting around for 6 months so it's about time to figure out how to wire them up
It's too late now, but do not use a punch or anything of the sort on that injector hold down rocker. Shocking that piece has been known to crack it! That's why it's recommended to spin a m14x1.5 and give that a whack.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Super easy. Wire to each light; +12 to the relay, fused, of course; ground; and then your trigger wire, which would also be +12.

Instead of wasting money on ECS's overpriced wiring, I did it on my 2000 and second 2002 Golf with a 53 relay and it works perfectly. I just realized you have the euroswitch, even though that ECS URL is for a kit without a euro switch. I don't remember what pin it is for front fogs, but you can google it pretty easy. Maybe 8? I know the rear fog is right next to it (and that's also plumbed in with a 35 relay, so I have the light on my instrument cluster light up).

As for lights - I got two sets of e-codes from someone in Thailand on ebay, and two more sets of non-fog e-codes from korwerks, who's closing up shop (so get 'em while you can). Sure beats outfititng the US-style lights with crappy Chinese glass lenses!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Here's a link to the fog light wire up if that's what you're looking for:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
you can also do it really cleanly by tapping power/gorund by the relay panel, add fuse into unused fusebox slot, add a relay 53 into relay panel then some 12 or 14ga wire up to the lights :)

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

hans_gruber0

TDI
03' ALH wagon 5 speed
Car is coming together a little better.
Pads and rotors were done about 6 months ago with zimmerman blank rotors, hawk pads, and good pentosin fluid with Russell speedbleeders but pedal is still kind of vague so bleeding ABS with VCDS is next on the list of issues to tackle.
It's too late now, but do not use a punch or anything of the sort on that injector hold down rocker. Shocking that piece has been known to crack it! That's why it's recommended to spin a m14x1.5 and give that a whack.
Wow there have been some old threads around with people mentioning tapping on the injector hold down rockers. Either that or a misunderstanding on my part.
Super easy. Wire to each light; +12 to the relay, fused, of course; ground; and then your trigger wire, which would also be +12.

Instead of wasting money on ECS's overpriced wiring, I did it on my 2000 and second 2002 Golf with a 53 relay and it works perfectly. I just realized you have the euroswitch, even though that ECS URL is for a kit without a euro switch. I don't remember what pin it is for front fogs, but you can google it pretty easy. Maybe 8? I know the rear fog is right next to it (and that's also plumbed in with a 35 relay, so I have the light on my instrument cluster light up).

As for lights - I got two sets of e-codes from someone in Thailand on ebay, and two more sets of non-fog e-codes from korwerks, who's closing up shop (so get 'em while you can). Sure beats outfititng the US-style lights with crappy Chinese glass lenses!
Oh I learned the hard way of eBay Chinese headlights on another car. They somehow put out a worse light pattern than OEM

The ECS harness was nice to have and very simple for someone new to diagrams and electrical.
Just simply snapped the wire into terminal 8

Maybe the bumper is missing some plastic tabs or hardware but the fit and finish was pretty bad on the fog eyelets for $160

Zip tie is holding each inner side in and now it will be more involved removing and reinstalling bumper cover

Stock headlights are so bad that I can see more of the road with the new fogs than the low or high beams with H4 Silverstar Ultras

VXtuning and Midwest Light Creations are both out of stock for headlight assemblies.

Are you saying that only OEM VW e-code lights are good?

It's sad how there's fewer shops and retailers open with good working knowledge of these cars
you can also do it really cleanly by tapping power/gorund by the relay panel, add fuse into unused fusebox slot, add a relay 53 into relay panel then some 12 or 14ga wire up to the lights :)
Excellent. Definitely did not like the extra wires running all over the engine bay and through the firewall

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Car is coming together a little better.
Pads and rotors were done about 6 months ago with zimmerman blank rotors, hawk pads, and good pentosin fluid with Russell speedbleeders but pedal is still kind of vague so bleeding ABS with VCDS is next on the list of issues to tackle.

Wow there have been some old threads around with people mentioning tapping on the injector hold down rockers. Either that or a misunderstanding on my part.

Oh I learned the hard way of eBay Chinese headlights on another car. They somehow put out a worse light pattern than OEM

The ECS harness was nice to have and very simple for someone new to diagrams and electrical.
Just simply snapped the wire into terminal 8

Maybe the bumper is missing some plastic tabs or hardware but the fit and finish was pretty bad on the fog eyelets for $160

Zip tie is holding each inner side in and now it will be more involved removing and reinstalling bumper cover

Stock headlights are so bad that I can see more of the road with the new fogs than the low or high beams with H4 Silverstar Ultras

VXtuning and Midwest Light Creations are both out of stock for headlight assemblies.

Are you saying that only OEM VW e-code lights are good?

It's sad how there's fewer shops and retailers open with good working knowledge of these cars

Excellent. Definitely did not like the extra wires running all over the engine bay and through the firewall
Yup the fit and finish of the aftermarket bumper inserts is garbage. I have a set because it's really hard to find OEM ones in good shape. To get them to fit even close to properly, I had to take a heat gun to them and basically mold them so the upper tabs (the ones you deflect to remove the pieces) would catch and hold the upper lip of the opening. Even then, the fit is not good, but mine are in there.

The side insert is aftermarket (after the heat gun treatment), the center one is OEM:

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I did some testing on a tune last night that turned into more than testing a tune.

While running some logs on a tune, I went to park to switch engine codes. All of a sudden the coolant light starts beeping and blinking. Then steam out the hood. I shut it down and found this.

I had my F.I.L with me running the computer so i had him check the engine temps. it was at 97 C. So I don't think it hurt anything. We call my wife to save us. Went home any got some supplies and went back to the car and did this.

Topped off the coolant bulb and left the cap off so it wouldn't build pressure. I made the 3 mile without any issues. Now waiting on parts to fix it.

Luckily this didn't happen on our Michigan Trip last month! only 3 miles from home instead of 500 miles. God works in mysterious ways.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I don't have a photo to really show it, but I picked up my car yesterday from Double J Motorwerks in Portland. The very last step of my 4Motion project has been completed, i.e. the performance tune on the Haldex controller. So after 9 months, I can call this project done!

You used to be able to buy aftermarket controllers to improve the Haldex performance and efficiency, i.e. the "blue" and "orange" controllers. But, they haven't been made for a decade for gen1 Haldex controllers and they don't even exist used on eBay etc. However, there's a company that fills in the void by creating a tune for the OEM controller:

Double J also re-bled my clutch to fix a shifting issue, and it feels a millions times better than it originally did, though they recommended that I might want to get an upgrade bleeder block to help with poor rebound on my pedal.

Now, it's on to my next (final?) project, the PD150 engine currently being rebuilt by Matt Whitbread.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I did some testing on a tune last night that turned into more than testing a tune.

While running some logs on a tune, I went to park to switch engine codes. All of a sudden the coolant light starts beeping and blinking. Then steam out the hood. I shut it down and found this.

Luckily this didn't happen on our Michigan Trip last month! only 3 miles from home instead of 500 miles. God works in mysterious ways.
Agreed 100% on the last part.

And... I always change all these parts when I buy another mk4. I guess this should be a PSA to everyone else - pick up the plastic connections to the heater core/radiator/upper radiator hose, and you might want to replace your coolant flange if you haven't lately, since I see your car is a 5 speed swap.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
New N18 valve, hoping that solves the groaning noise when on/off throttle when it's hot (in gridlocked traffic). Also removed the snow screen.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Your muffler tip looks like it could be a few inches bigger