Exhaust restrictor to warm up TDI quicker?

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
Hi

With winter coming and no access to mains to Zerostart my car, I was pondering bolting together a manually-operated exhaust restrictor to provide increased load for the engine and get the engine warmed up quicker when idling.

Yes I know , idling is not to good for the TDI, but on my trips to Poland I did face more than once trying to defrost the car and get some visibility before I move away.

So, is exhaust restrictor good/bad for the engine does it work/not work to warm up engine quicker, and what sort of maximum pressure is allowed in the exhaust?

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
This will warm your car up quicker. A design that I had some experience with before for the Dodge Ram/Cummins had a 30% restriction.

I don't think this will harm your car, as long as the exhaust connections are made to withstand the higher pressure.

moondawg

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Mine should be here on Monday!

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Too bad you can't hook it up electrically and get an engine brake...
Funny you should mention it. The "warm up" feature was just a fringe benefit. The device I was involved with was designed as an exhaust brake.

There's nothing preventing you from activating the "warmup device" while you're moving to act as an exhaust brake. Just make sure you're not on the accelerator at the same time.

moondawg

PS, happy birthday supton!

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
You probably already did it, but cover the intake at the front. I also added a 300w 12v heater and turn on both heated seats. It puts a good load on the alt and in turn on the engine. I have to check it to see if I can add another 300w heater. Actually the 300w heater worked out well letting it run in the back (wagon) so the heat was more even, still a bit colder in the back but better.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
We just ran a defrost test on a walk-in van (think FedEx/UPS style). There was a proto engine brake like you described that was used to bring the engine up to temps quicker - it works!! And it works very well at that.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
This will warm your car up quicker. A design that I had some experience with before for the Dodge Ram/Cummins had a 30% restriction.

I don't think this will harm your car, as long as the exhaust connections are made to withstand the higher pressure.

moondawg

moondawg

when you say 30& restriction, do you mean 30% higher pressure or 30% lower flow?

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I believe the valve was designed to restrict 30% of the exaust pipe cross-sectional area. I was involved on the software side of things... so only had a passing interest in the mechanical details.

moondawg

turbonem

Veteran Member
TDI
'02jetta wagon red
hellow gang...

I think that between all of us we could build an exhust brake.

I have worked on dodges with the cummins of all vintages and installed and repaired many different version's of Exhust brakes.

the worst are PAC-brake.
they are vacume applied and released.they work the first year.then....

the best are E-brake that cummins makes.vacume applied and spring released.

I'v got some old brakes we could reverse engineer and build a 1/3 scale brake.

on the pickups they cut the warm up time in half and double or even triple the front brake life.

so are there any interested people in building one.

I'v got a lathe and can figere out the vacume/wiring.

any other interested machineist tipes?

see-ya matt

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
yes I started a similar dissucion about a year ago, then no one was interested. I had never considered the side benifit of faster warm ups.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
I need something that would attach to the end of exchaust (twin pipes pointing downwards), so I can keep stock exhaust setup. Can be manually operated from side of the car etc.

turbonem

Veteran Member
TDI
'02jetta wagon red
an exhust brake normally goes between turbo exit> <down pipe.

If you tried to put it at the end of the tail pipe there would be added pressure on the whole exhust system.

does anyone have an old turbo manifold/downpipe that we could use to mock up a prototype?

that's the first step.

see-ya matt

turbonem

Veteran Member
TDI
'02jetta wagon red
N2TOH...

All the e-brakes I'v seen on inlines are directly post turbo.

some Vee's are a little messier with two or three more feet of pipe in between the turbo and brake.

I put my car up and looked around and I think there is room for a brake.

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
yea...

one of the many things I miss about my TJ Wrangler was the engine breaking. The only thing I don't miss was the mileage 15~18MPG was typical, I had the 6 cylinder.

turbonem

Veteran Member
TDI
'02jetta wagon red
I'v still got three old pac brakes at work in boxes that have out lived there useful life.

as I said previously the pac-brakes are a POS.

I'v personally replaced seven pac's with cummin's E-brake.

The pac's either stick on or off at the worst time(usually just after passing someone on a grade runnin the snot out of it.

I'm gonna try to copy the cummins version.

see-ya matt

turbonem

Veteran Member
TDI
'02jetta wagon red
the brakes are either controled by a microswitch at the pump or pedal or the ECM.

The micro switch on the pedal is the best as you can hear it click on and off.