Exhaust Leak? Maybe; Dropped Motor Mount? For Sure

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
2000 Beetle has 212k miles.
Developed what I thought was an exhaust noise.
Couldn't find the leak, but excessive motor movement did reveal a dropped passenger side motor mount!
I guess the twist could've broken something loose on the exhaust.
Engine has 8k miles til next 80k timing belt change.
I've done all the timing belt changes myself and used new bolts, etc.
I don't think the aluminum castings last forever.

Anyway, I need a plan.
Should I:
1) Replace motor mount (have no idea how much these things are) and do TB when it's warmer. Of course, I guess the aluminum doesn't like too much stressing plus new stretch bolts.
2) Replace mount and timing belt now. Of course it's 8*F outside there and garage is unheated.

Of course some part of the exhaust might have to be replaced although I could not find any obvious hole.

The age and miles of the car make taking to repair guy not too effective, I guess.

I have a hankering for a new car, but it's just too bad the new diesel is so far out. Plus, it's not like diesel is cheap or anything.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
so it just pulled the threads out of the bracket? i've had good luck having the part helicoiled:

M12x1.5 i do believe. not a cheap helicoil kit >$55 but not as pricey as the part >$100

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Thanks for the info ROB.
Yes, it looks to me like one pulled, causing the other to break. I have to first get the piece of the broken bolt out of the bracket (after I remove the bracket, lol).
Do you use stretch bolts with the helicoiled holes, or do you use some other kind of arrangement?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
while you're in there VF... how much play does your repaired mount have front to back?

I'd vote for changing the mount out now and doing the TB later.

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Yeah, I just use the regular stretch bolts and standard torque spec.

Another piece of advice: the bracket is easier to remove if the belt is off (at least loose) from below. If you're going to leave the belt on I'd take it out the top/back; which, while possible, is a pain in the butt.

How often do you get to use a colon and a semicolon in the same paragraph:D

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Thanks Guys.

I didn't get to look at it further-tonight.

With the steel threads of the helicoil (if that indeed does work out) I figure it'll take more disassemblies than the aluminum.

Hey, my Mazda3 hatch has a timing chain! Not as good mileage though, but cheaper fuel. :)

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Well I got the bracket out.
I've been out of touch: where does one get OEM parts for good prices nowadays? www.1stvwparts.com appears to have it for ~$75, but that's no including shipping and it's coming from the West Coast. I'll check the dealer and NAPA tomorrow.
Thanks.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I'd vote for doing the TB now, along with the motor mount repair. Any reason not to use a 100K mi kit?

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
The current belt is indeed a 100k kit so I have like 25k left, supposedly.
I must study more about helicoil installation now. :)

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Reinstalled mount. I had no nervousness about torquing. Helicoils should be standard.

Of course, the battery ran down, so I didn't start it up.

PS: The car will be for sale shortly. Putting deposit down on a MINI tomorrow.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Charged battery. Runs great. No noise. Must of been the engine moving around or something. Still have to put on that darn skidplate (love/hate relationship there).

Car is for sale.

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
VelvetFoot said:
Reinstalled mount. I had no nervousness about torquing. Helicoils should be standard.

Of course, the battery ran down, so I didn't start it up.

PS: The car will be for sale shortly. Putting deposit down on a MINI tomorrow.
VF, That Mini you put a deposit on had better run on fricken diesel or I will never forgive you! ;) At least you could lie to me and tell me that you have a diesel pick-em-up truck or something, eh? :eek: Later!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Harv, no diesel on the MINI. It's mellow yellow/black roof, non-turbo model. You order them a la carte, like BMW's, and BMW builds it in Oxford, England. We got xenon, dsc, winter package, leatherette (!), multifunction steering wheel. You'll like this: they get MSRP. I managed to hold out for floor and boot mats, lol.

Now I'm looking for snow tires (175/65R15) and the TPMS sensors (what a drag on the TPMS-best I found was $184 from Tire Rack. I found MINI wheels.