Exhaust fumes smell in cab. How to find leak?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
2003 Jetta

I smell exhaust fumes in the cab all the time when idling and when I do a super cold start it seems like smoke is billowing from under the hood. I have my egr deleted. Any suggestions on how I can find the exhaust leak under my hood easily? Might be easier to find on a cold day, but normal days I have no idea how to do this.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Put the car on ramps and do a cold start so you can get under it immediately. It's likely your flex pipe leaking.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
EGR deleted as in physically removed form the car? Or just tuned out? If just tuned out, with equipment still in place, check your EGR accordion tubes.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
As JR says……it’s your flex pipe leaking.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Pretty sure the flex pipe is removed and blocked off with proper plates. The upper one is also deleted too. I will crawl under and look around once it warms up this week. I hope it’s that easy

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Your flex pipe on the exhaust system….about a foot down the pipe from where it connects to the turbo…… right where the tunnel or hump starts on the fire wall.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Ahhh I thought you guys meant the egr flex pipe that always breaks too.

so. Now I need exhaust work? (And a timing belt. And a starter. And suspension. And rear beam bushings. And airbags fixed. And a blower fan. And lifters. And injectors. And and and….. hmmm

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol …..it’s not that bad…… one at a time…..
The flex pipe can be replaced , IDPARTS has them in stock . You can remove the exhaust system bring it to a shop and let them cut the old one off and Re weld the new one on…..unless you have the capacity.
Or see if any one is parting one out or a pick and pull by you .

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Ahhh I thought you guys meant the egr flex pipe that always breaks too.

so. Now I need exhaust work? (And a timing belt. And a starter. And suspension. And rear beam bushings. And airbags fixed. And a blower fan. And lifters. And injectors. And and and….. hmmm
I was actually referring to the EGR flex pipe because others had already mentioned the exhaust flex pipe.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Check the short connector kinda mid body. Mine was completely rusted and not connecting much anymore

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
When one lets wear and tear items go on a 20 year old car the results are never positive.
As far as injectors, mine are also weak. Have been for a few years. Still starts fine makes acceptable power and fuel economy. Until one or more of those change the injectors will stay....

Air bags can be an expensive fix. Generally will be the deciding factor for an insurance company on older cars whether they will be fixed or scrapped.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m always dropping anywhere from $500.00 -$1000.00 a year on my cars each ( MK IV family of cars).
To me it’s still cheaper than a car payment and increase in insurance premiums which will easily be above $4000.00 a year.
I do 110 miles a day , I have a beater car for work that has over 447,xxx miles on it……I wouldn’t think twice about taking it from the east coast to the west and back….it’s not especially pretty but for me it works……I cannot see buying the newer cars and subject them to the kinda milage I put on it only to throw it away after I just finish the car payments….that’s me. Just my .02.

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Yeah good points. I’ve put 120,000km on this car and it’s been good to me. If I sunk in another $2-3000 into it I’m sure it would be good for another 100k+ km. Just sucks it’s all hitting at once. And during winter. The wipers don’t spray either now. It’s alwaysssssssss something.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol I feel your pain.
My youngest daughter her turbo went , was redoing her suspension ,installed new struts , shocks and springs front and back , new front brakes and did her timing belt , replaced her clutch , alternator , serpentine belt twice and serpentine belt pulley…..all within a 6 month period. Ran about $3000.00……car has 320,xxx miles on it…..

She does same kind of milage as me , but this is a rare year…..
I won’t have to worry about major components for at least 5 years….I normally average about $500-600 a year….mainly filters , oil and fuel , brakes and rotors and light bulbs , maybe a set of tires.

I have a book on each car and log into it what was done , price of part and date and milage.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Ok yeah it’s bad now.

2003 tdi Jetta MK4.

-22c cold start. It struggled a tad so was naturally smokey. Here’s the problem..

It idled for about 15 seconds while I wiped snow. When I opened the door to get in, the entire cab was hot boxed with diesel smoke, as well as me constantly smelling it while I drive lately. I think my hoodie even smells like diesel fumes. It’s bad.

I guess there’s no way of knowing till I look. But wondering if just a brand new flex pipe is the answer or is there upgrades/deletes/fixes for this kind of thing?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Either a new flex pipe , straight pipe , or new down pipe with a new catalytic converter.
Any of the above will have a flex pipe.
If your exhaust is original chances are the straight pipe after the cat may be cracked too.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Hmm. What’s the trick for finding the leak? Especially since I’m checking when warm and the car won’t be smokey. Check for a soot spot or the soap and water test or what?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Try to isolate where it gets in the cabin. Start underneath. My old 99.5 J had a swiss cheese down pipe for years, sounded nice, but never smelled fumes in the cabin. Next likely I guess is the firewall.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Run it up on ramps and crawl underneath with car running……you’ll find it either by the leak ( run your hand around without touching exhaust ) or by the soot it’s left behind.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Try to isolate where it gets in the cabin. Start underneath. My old 99.5 J had a swiss cheese down pipe for years, sounded nice, but never smelled fumes in the cabin. Next likely I guess is the firewall.
I will try. It’s tricky.

hint: one cold start I then popped the hood and it was billowing smoke out from under the hood too.

also. Seems the intake fan sucks in exhaust fumes. Real bad.

makes me think it’s something right under the hood….

ill add that to my “to-do” list too. Ugh.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Check it when the engine is cold. If it's that bad you will be able to see it. Possible spots are the EGR block off plates (gaskets), turbo to exhaust gasket/clamp and flex pipe. Not much else if it smokes near the engine.
There's of course the exhaust manifold gaskets too but I think you'd be able to hear it chuffing if some of them leaked.

Instigatr

TDI
03 Golf 2 door MTM
FWIW, when it's really cold out I like to let mine idle and warm up at least a little bit before I take off. While I wait for the glow plug light to go out, I reach over to the fan switch and turn it off. Mine doesn't have any known exhaust leaks, but if the wind is blowing the right direction the heater fan will pull the exhaust right in. Also helps the car warm up slightly quicker.