Ever had a buyer talk you up, or a seller talk you down?

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I've had several very strange car transactions lately, and it has really gotten me thinking.

I offered a lady $500 for a long-abandoned '87 CRX Si in her yard. She said she was thinking more like $300, and I had to talk her back up to $400. The car wasn't for sale, and it was as-is. I knew it was easily worth $500 on the market, just for parts. $300 was a fair deal, but she'd take an extra $100 if it would make me feel better. No rich folks-- I'm sure she could have used the money. Maybe I'll go and ask her why she was uncomfortable taking a fair price that I was glad to offer. Weird.

That ever happen to you?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Yes. I had a 94 4Runner that 'almost' blew its head gasket. I knew exactly what it was, just not the hardware time to fix. So I listed it as blown head gasket $1000. Mechanic who bought it from me said well since the engine isn't seized, or hopefully isn't, it's worth more so he gave me $1500.

To be fair the body and interior were pristine and if I didn't have a HOA down my back a part out alone of that stuff would have netted more than $1500. But I was just glad to get rid of the driveway paperweight leaking oil.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I checked out a 2000 4dr golf, green with a neat half roof ragtop sunroof. He was asking 3000 I believe. 5spd ALH stock. Under 200k miles.

Checke it out and drove it, paint was decent interior was trashed front fenders were rusting. Drove fine except for the limp mode or something.
Got back noticed it leaking diesel.

I told the guy I was no longer interested but with alittle work he could sell it for much more.
He began to tell me he would take much less for it. And he said if I didn't buy it he had two others coming the following day. He insisted he would drop the price.

Even after telling him tdis were in high demand he still wanted to drop the price under 3000.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
So it was offered for sale at $3K, You tried it and declined to buy at $3k. He counter offered to sell for less than $3k.
What's weird about that is that you think it weird.