Euro Switch and 5 brake light mod question

timirving

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS; 2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Do I need to get rid of the 5 brake light mod if I get a euro switch? The switch has a rear fog light setting; will the brake light mod screw this up?

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI auto *sold*, 2012 Jetta SE 5spd w/convenience&sunroof
No, in US harnesses there is no wire connected to the pin where the rear fog light is controlled.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
Do I need to get rid of the 5 brake light mod if I get a euro switch? The switch has a rear fog light setting; will the brake light mod screw this up?

Curious:

What is the 5 brake light mod? Link?

If it's whayt I think it is, - we're trying to figure out if this is possible on MKVI Golfs.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The Euro switch won't affect the 5LBM but if you want to use rear fogs it will.

sfpegasus said:
What is the 5 brake light mod? Link?
This is something that you can do on A4 platforms. The tail light housings both have empty spots that in other non-US areas would be rear fogs. Install a bulb and a jumper wire and you now have 5 brake lights. AFAIK the A5 tails don't have this empty spot.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
This is something that you can do on A4 platforms. The tail light housings both have empty spots that in other non-US areas would be rear fogs. Install a bulb and a jumper wire and you now have 5 brake lights. AFAIK the A5 tails don't have this empty spot.
Thanks for the info.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
We have standard Euro switch and rear foglight here.

No problems with 5 Brakelight mod - just need to add a diode in the rear foglight line to stop the warning light in the dash coming on everytime you put on the brakes.

Then you just need another one to stop the brakelights coming on with the foglight as well if you are just using the rear fog. (Brakelight still works normally)