Erratic when maintaining speed / RPM

c4markee

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta
Hey guys
I was cruising at about 30 ish today under 2k RPM when my car started to stutter it felt like. It has happened before, but sine no light the dealer never could figure it out. Swapped to a different gear and it was fine. Its done it at 45 too (similar RPM).
Wondering if anyone had this happen.
Also any idea what this new emissions computer upgrade recall is?

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
It might be that the DPF is regenerating that's causing the stutter, rough operation. Getting the rpm above 2k should help.

Had the ECU flashed by the dealer, a week ago or so and haven't noticed any differences yet. We'll see if the fuel mileage has changed at the next fill up.

c4markee

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta
Kind of thought it might be the DPF doing the regen, guess usually Im not in town when it kicks in. Hasnt done it again.
Let us know on the reflash if it helps / hinders mileage.

It might be that the DPF is regenerating that's causing the stutter, rough operation. Getting the rpm above 2k should help.

Had the ECU flashed by the dealer, a week ago or so and haven't noticed any differences yet. We'll see if the fuel mileage has changed at the next fill up.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I find a similar thing around 1800-2k and I think that its like very slight changes in my foot around there confuse it almost... could be regen, but I really think it just doesn't do well with very subtle on/off throttle applications. I also notice a hesitation around 1800 under hard acceleration, which is a shame being the torque peak!

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
There are a couple things off the top of my head that can cause some stuttering or hesitation. The most obvious and noticeable is the full on regeneration. You will notice loss of power, high idle, and possibly cooling fans if it is hot enough outside or idling. The other is EGR. If you take a drive long enough to get the engine up to temp, you should notice it more at first. Then once the engine is warmed up, they should become less often, less noticeable, or none at all. The other are the NOX cycles that seem like a mini-regeneration. If you have Torque or some sort of tool to monitor sensors, you can see your EGTs spike to 1100+ for short periods of time under light load that might cause slight lowering of power, but these stop if you give it heavy pedal action, or let off and coast in gear. I have noticed this rarely though while driving if not monitoring EGTs.