Engine shakes upon accelerating?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I've been going through the threads here regarding vibration when going from neutral to 1st at stop. I seen that it may be cv joints, engine/tranny mounts, dog bone mount, etc

I recently replaced my clutch to one similar to a sbc stage 2 endurance (got a valair clutch) and replaced dogbone mount

I get engine shaking from neutral to 1st. It seems to shake less if I rev the engine to about 1800rpm. If I let off less than that it shakes. Other gears have no issue. Engine mount and tranny mount look fine (didn't see any tears or deterioration)

but I tried to do the engine mount test by putting it in gear and try letting off slowly while in park and I see it move. Not sure what the tolerances are in terms of how much play.

I did see the cv joint on driver side did have a tear on the boot(inner), but there is no l clunking when I turn. Last cv axle I got had a clicking sound when I turn and there was a tear in the same spot.

when leaving from my parking spot I don't feel the shaking. Seems only when from acclerating.

my thoughts are either clutch is too aggressive (even though I can slip it without shaking), cv axle, or engine/tranny mounts.

thoughts? 🤔

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I've been going through the threads here regarding vibration when going from neutral to 1st at stop. I seen that it may be cv joints, engine/tranny mounts, dog bone mount, etc

I recently replaced my clutch to one similar to a sbc stage 2 endurance (got a valair clutch) and replaced dogbone mount

I get engine shaking from neutral to 1st. It seems to shake less if I rev the engine to about 1800rpm. If I let off less than that it shakes. Other gears have no issue. Engine mount and tranny mount look fine (didn't see any tears or deterioration)

but I tried to do the engine mount test by putting it in gear and try letting off slowly while in park and I see it move. Not sure what the tolerances are in terms of how much play.

I did see the cv joint on driver side did have a tear on the boot(inner), but there is no l clunking when I turn. Last cv axle I got had a clicking sound when I turn and there was a tear in the same spot.

when leaving from my parking spot I don't feel the shaking. Seems only when from acclerating.

my thoughts are either clutch is too aggressive (even though I can slip it without shaking), cv axle, or engine/tranny mounts.

thoughts? 🤔
The inner joints are not normally going to click in a turn, the outer ones do when worn. Your other axle's CV joints could have both been worn.

I would suspect the dogbone mount.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
OP said they replaced it not too long ago with the clutch.

I'd say engine mounts. They should give but really shouldn't have any play. Those are going to be one of the bigger culprits when decelerating/accelerating because of the amount of mass they are controlling.

Do you feel anything through the pedal? Stage 2, whether daily or endurance, should be a pretty darn smooth clutch...

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
OP said they replaced it not too long ago with the clutch.

I'd say engine mounts. They should give but really shouldn't have any play. Those are going to be one of the bigger culprits when decelerating/accelerating because of the amount of mass they are controlling.

Do you feel anything through the pedal? Stage 2, whether daily or endurance, should be a pretty darn smooth clutch...
so even if engine mounts look good they can still be the culprit?
as for pedal I don't feel anything. I had the sbc stage 2 daily. my new clutch is organic/ceramic like the stage 2 endurance. I was thinking it still need breaking in. but I'll replace the mounts and see if it still persiste . if it does then I'll go cv axle drivers side.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
The inner joints are not normally going to click in a turn, the outer ones do when worn. Your other axle's CV joints could have both been worn.

yeah dogbone is new. So inner joints may start to wear. I may replace this if after new engine mounts doesn't fix it. if none fixed it I suspect clutch issue or so

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
so even if engine mounts look good they can still be the culprit?
as for pedal I don't feel anything. I had the sbc stage 2 daily. my new clutch is organic/ceramic like the stage 2 endurance. I was thinking it still need breaking in. but I'll replace the mounts and see if it still persiste . if it does then I'll go cv axle drivers side.
You can't really tell by looking at them in the car. When they're out you can better see the condition of the dampening rubber.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I dont have specific experience with that SBC (that i know of). Just that my mk3 had a newer clutch when i bought it, and took some time to finally break in and stop the 1st-gear juddering. Also a honda did the same after installing a brand new clutch (standard replacement, nothing fancy).

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I dont have specific experience with that SBC (that i know of). Just that my mk3 had a newer clutch when i bought it, and took some time to finally break in and stop the 1st-gear juddering. Also a honda did the same after installing a brand new clutch (standard replacement, nothing fancy).
that would make sense. My last clutch was from a donor car that had the sbc stage 2 and just got a clutch plate and resurfaced the flywheel so this is my first experience with a brand new clutch.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Did you properly break in the clutch? SB has instructions to do this properly. Stage 2 endurance isn't that aggressive but if you didn't break in properly, if it is the clutch, it might continue to act that way.

We're all guessing over the Internet. You need to start inspecting/troubleshooting components to rule then out. You've got a good list of places to start

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Did you properly break in the clutch? SB has instructions to do this properly. Stage 2 endurance isn't that aggressive but if you didn't break in properly, if it is the clutch, it might continue to act that way.

We're all guessing over the Internet. You need to start inspecting/troubleshooting components to rule then out. You've got a good list of places to start
yeah I'm only 300 miles so far all city. Since it's recommended not use highway yet. Hopefully it gets better.

but I'll replace the mounts and axle and go from there. I'll also wait till the clutch breaks in fully