Engine Rocking back and forth with ease

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
Hello,
So I drove my car (2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed) home, ate some dinner, and drove back into town and immediately noticed multiple things wrong with the car. First was the noise, almost like a grinding or rubbing of some sort, and then I noticed the feeling of the motor mounts extremely loose. When at a stop I can have the clutch all the way in, give it a blip on the throttle, and the car will try to slightly lurch forward. I got out and took a look but I have never seen something like this. I can move the motor on the axis of the axles with a rotation of at least 6 inches back and forth front to back in the car. The grinding sound I'm assuming is something getting bound or rubbing when it rotates back. (I took a video if anyone is interested I can email it for further advice.) Is it possible I lost all motor mounts at once? I'm pretty new to TDI's but not new to working on cars so any advice would be appreciated. I have not got the chance to get under the car to see what I can find, but any advice on things to look for other than motor mounts?

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
I'm 50/50 on if its just motor mounts but I wasnt sure If this much movement so suddenly could be from just the motor mounts or if this could be from something more.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Sounds like your dogbone mount let loose. Maybe an inch of rotation is okay for a tired mount, but you have way too much.

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
Sounds like your dogbone mount let loose. Maybe an inch of rotation is okay for a tired mount, but you have way too much.
Yes. you'll have to get under it and look at the dogbone mount.
Just crawled under and you guys were right, it sheered off on the back side of the dogbone closest to the trunk. Am I going to have any real trouble replacing this or should I have a shop take a look? Also I looked up at the turbo and it looks like the VNT blades are somehow outside the turbo housing, (I'm assuming this all happened at the same time) the turbo has multiple little sheets of aluminum fanning out like a fan blade with about 1/4 inch holes on each corner. Kind of hard to describe and I couldn't take a picture but maybe one of you could help diagnose it? Once again I'm pretty mechanically inclined but not with dieselso_O

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
Just crawled under and you guys were right, it sheered off on the back side of the dogbone closest to the trunk. Am I going to have any real trouble replacing this or should I have a shop take a look? Also I looked up at the turbo and it looks like the VNT blades are somehow outside the turbo housing, (I'm assuming this all happened at the same time) the turbo has multiple little sheets of aluminum fanning out like a fan blade with about 1/4 inch holes on each corner. Kind of hard to describe and I couldn't take a picture but maybe one of you could help diagnose it? Once again I'm pretty mechanically inclined but not with dieselso_O
adding to this I have no smoke or anything but obviously I haven't tried to make boost since the dogbone broke

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Umm...
got a photo of the carnage? As for the dogbone, it's something that you could easily replace. The turbo... I'm curious what exactly is going on there.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Sounds like the turbo split in half. I've seen that happen before...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Give all the dogbone's mounting holes on the engine/chassis a good going over too - if there's a chance the engine was rocking much before the dogbone let go, it could have egged out the holes the mount bolts too (had that happen to me a year or two back due to a broken exhaust flex joint)