engine cover connector

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
The other day I read a post regarding adding a little white grease to the ball/socket connectors of the engine cover , as it would make removal easier. I think it even mentioned somone actually broke one of the ball studs mounted on the engine.

When I went to pull off the engine cover, I noticed that the left rear corner was already "popped off". I went to press it down, but it popped back up, it did not stay connected to the ball. I puled up the other three corners without incident and placed a small amount of white grease to the socket underneath the cover. My car is just out of warranty, but it bothered me that the "last guy" working on the car would have been a dealer mechanic , as they did all the 3 year maintenance. I never did, nor had reason to pull the engine cover off. The car went to the dealer for 10K, 20K, 30K and fuel rail recall notice. That's it.

Went to the dealer, 3 County VW in Lyndhurst, mechanic looked at it said it seemed "worn" .He said he would order me one and install it at N/C.

I got it replaced today. The mechanic used a small screwdriver to pry out the old connector and was able to push the new connector in. Now all 4 corners stay put.

The parts bag said 07C-103-226 DL 084 E27 CONNECTOR
Didn't ask how much it cost.
Just seems off it would be worn out already.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
They do wear out. I replaced all of mine a couple of years ago................

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
The grommets wear out and the rubber hardens (to the strength of hard plastic) over time. I had to replace all 4 pieces on mine shortly after I purchased my car because the grommets barely held the cover in place. They cost about $3 a peice at the dealer so it's not too bad.