**EMISSION SERVICE ACTION 23O6-EMC Software***

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Does anybody know if the recent recall for "possible check engine light" was actually an attempt to correct this matter? Having that recall done sure killed my fuel mileage! The wife and I still drive the same but our in-town mileage has dropped from consistent 32-34 MPG to 27-28, don't think I've hit 30 since. So maybe the damage is already done. I was hoping to ignore this (potential) one!

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Does anybody know if the recent recall for "possible check engine light" was actually an attempt to correct this matter? Having that recall done sure killed my fuel mileage! The wife and I still drive the same but our in-town mileage has dropped from consistent 32-34 MPG to 27-28, don't think I've hit 30 since. So maybe the damage is already done. I was hoping to ignore this (potential) one!
If your paperwork refers to recall 2306, then yes. This was VW's attempt to fix the emissions to satisfy the EPA. Unfortunately it didn't go far enough, even though your fuel economy took a nosedive in the process.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Ahhhh thoes sneaky Germans .
This fix is going to suck for thoes who have modified tdi's , it's going to be a mandatory reflash most likely.
That depends. First the gov’t will have to force all states to make it mandatory. It may stink for those that have gone the DPF delete route, only if they are in a state where they are “forced” to have the fix done. But for others running around on a tune with all emission equip in place, they can just pay a small fee to have the tune reflashed back and be better off than most. Even if vw adds an adblue system to the jetta, there is a tune for that.

JimGarb

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav
I just had my 2306 flash done today with my first 10k service on my 2014 Jetta TDI. I almost immediately noticed an improved throttle response as I've often thought the lag is a tad bit noticeable in this car.

Time will tell.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Funny, I had mine done last night and I feel like there's more lag when I shift... Probably all in my head, but could be a result of it being done on my car which has a tune :/

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
Funny, I had mine done last night and I feel like there's more lag when I shift... Probably all in my head, but could be a result of it being done on my car which has a tune :/
You mean HAD a tune.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I know... (Sad Price is Right sound). They "saved me a trip" by doing the update while I had the car in. Question tho, with the RC tube he went into the ECU to do it, what's there still physically?

mose

TDI
15 Jetta SE TDI Auto
Ahhhh thoes sneaky Germans .
This fix is going to suck for thoes who have modified tdi's , it's going to be a mandatory reflash most likely.
From what I read it was based on the steering wheel. If no movement detected, it was testing.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

mincanada

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi
Out of curiosity I disconnect my obd connector I use for torque to see if I noticed any impact...I almost hate to say I did because I swear my head is playing games with me, but I will be damned if I didn't notice more pep....I swear it can make ya insane lol

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Out of curiosity I disconnect my obd connector I use for torque to see if I noticed any impact...I almost hate to say I did because I swear my head is playing games with me, but I will be damned if I didn't notice more pep....I swear it can make ya insane lol
I've been wondering about that too, not that I have a dongle hooked up but I've been considering it. I've also wondered if it's that easy to defeat, then maybe the tuners might take a different approach in the future...

GIDEHUP

TDI
'09 Jetta
I spoke to a Denso drivability instructor last night and he recommends not getting the vehicles "flashed" quite yet, see what VW's final plan for the infected fleet is first because we could be sitting on cars that might be more valuable without the update in the long run. He predicts once the finally tally comes in the update might cost our TDI's about 10-15% in performance and MPG....?

'09 Jetta TDI @ 173k miles of great miles in Wisconsin...

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
I've been wondering about that too, not that I have a dongle hooked up but I've been considering it. I've also wondered if it's that easy to defeat, then maybe the tuners might take a different approach in the future...
I asked that on the previous page and the concensus was negative. Hard to say , the thought is that when it's on a dyno ( no rear wheel movement ) it goes into testing mode .
It truly is genius .
I still get great mpg with my scan gauge in 40 non highway driving and 45 if I drive mostly highway on a tank . ( I don't drive it for mpg )

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
So those of us who haven't even had this done yet, should we even bother?
At this point, I would wait. I got one car done but will not do the other car until this all settles out.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I asked that on the previous page and the concensus was negative. Hard to say , the thought is that when it's on a dyno ( no rear wheel movement ) it goes into testing mode .
It truly is genius .
I still get great mpg with my scan gauge in 40 non highway driving and 45 if I drive mostly highway on a tank . ( I don't drive it for mpg )
Thanks for the reply even tho you already asked the question :) It's so hard to keep up with all of this, so I appreciate the redundant info.
At this point, I would wait. I got one car done but will not do the other car until this all settles out.
Well I was at the dealer monday having my coolant system checked and they "saved me a trip" and performed the flash:mad: Can't really tell them I'm pissed because I didn't want it, and I didn't say anything when I dropped it off because I was concerned about the coolant and didn't think of it. Kinda pissed at myself. So now I'm squarely in the camp of need to see how this shakes out, because I can't just avoid it!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Too late now but they should have reviewed everything, including recall work, prior to your signing approval for the work.

GeeBee44

TDI
Golf 2013
Me too I am pissed off. I have a Golf TDI 2013 and had the ECM updated with the service action 2306 during my last oil change before the scandal. I couldn't get a clear answer from the dealer what this update exactly does to my car. I regret I let them proceed. It looks nobody on this forum has the right answer only guessing. I am really upset with the present situation and I am not sure if VW will regain my confidence after no transparency and cheating. Can't wait hoe this mess will end up.:mad::mad:
Is it possible to reverse the process and return to the original ECM program ?

Last edited:

distinktif

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
So I just had this done to my '10 Jetta SW TDI on Saturday when I went to resolve a missing wheel key issue. The previous owner took the wheel key and bolt cover pin so I was left SOL when trying to get a tire fixed with several nails in it.

My dealer had to drill the locks out and give me a new set free of cost, but they insisted on having the recalls done. I guess I was blinded by the scandal thinking maybe this would help, but in the back of my mind I thought... "I wonder if this WAS the software that caused all the hoopla."

After my car was done I noticed a minor dip in the performance. I no longer had as strong of a pick-up when the torque and turbo kicked in, but my fuel economy got a significant bump. I was previously getting around 18-19 miles/gal average consumption and it went up to 35 miles/gal.

I still can pass cars on the expressway with ease, I just don't get that punchy low-end torque I had in my city driving anymore. After reading through this thread, I sorta feel cheated now. I wish I did some research before I agreed to have the software update performed, but I am happy with the fuel economy bump.

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
After my car was done I noticed a minor dip in the performance. I no longer had as strong of a pick-up when the torque and turbo kicked in, but my fuel economy got a significant bump. I was previously getting around 18-19 miles/gal average consumption and it went up to 35 miles/gal.
19mpg to 35 mpg ?!?!

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
Had the 2306 update done about 2weeks ago after waiting since it first came out to see what comments were and how it all all panned out.

I keep hand calc records of every tank and have since purchase 14 months ago. After running two full tanks through I can say that the mileage did not change one bit,

Regen seems to be much shorter and more often, and seat of pants would say overall time spent in regen is if anything, less than before.

Also seems to rev quicker into higher rpm range than before.
As of yet I see no downside.

This car has averaged 50.7 Imp mpg over 40,000KM or 42US MPG over 24000 miles. This is all rural 2lane 60%/ light city 40% very little highway, and includes a few months of our cold winter with snow tires.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Too late now but they should have reviewed everything, including recall work, prior to your signing approval for the work.
I know... I think some dealers are just used to a certain way of "helping" their customers and don't deal with people who've done their homework much. That said, I didn't preemptively say anything either...
Is it possible to reverse the process and return to the original ECM program ?
I bet one of the tuners will come up with something.

MK6_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 B7 Passat TDI SEL
I had it done earlier this year before researching it. I can say that the butt dyno feels nothing but I have noticed that my mpg have changed slightly from before over the past few months. I could break 190 to 200 for 1/4 a tank without being on a road trip and now I have to aim for 150. Still not as bad as my previous gasser but I bought a TDI for a larger mpg range. I never see 50mpg like some of you do. Fuely calculations average 38 per tank for me

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
Yea, I'm just gonna have to NOPE this sub 20 MPG claim. Did you ask if they fixed a leak in your fuel tank while they had it...?

distinktif

TDI
'10 JSW TDI
Yea, I'm just gonna have to NOPE this sub 20 MPG claim. Did you ask if they fixed a leak in your fuel tank while they had it...?
My next service visit with the dealer is scheduled in a the first week of November, so I may address it then. I do mostly stop and go city driving here in Chicago and rarely get above 30mph/50kph so maybe it's my driving style that is giving me these numbers. It's nice to be back in a turbo so I'm probably enjoying it too much between stops.

I only do real highway driving when I am in Toronto visiting my fiance's family. This is my first TDI so I have no idea what to expect with fuel consumption. I've definitely doubled the mileage I was getting on my previous car ('08 Honda CRV) and then some. I was getting some poor city mileage on that thing (12mpg) and only saw the low 20s on the expressway.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your driving is not where these diesel engines shine. Yes, you're getting better than what you replaced, but you need to get out on the highway more and blow the cobwebs.

paragrunt

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/ Nav
I have my 20k Service and oil change tomorrow morning. I got the reminder email and it mentioned this recall. Funny, they didn't mention it too me. My county doesn't require emissions testing. The dealership is in a different County though. I'm going to insist that this flash is not done. If this has not been mandated yet by the EPA, then I'll involve the GM of the dealer if I have to. A buddy of mine who also has a TDI affected by this fiasco said that he called that Pulaski Law Firm about a class action lawsuit. I saw the commercial on Fox News a week or so ago. Personally, I have no loyalty to VW at all. I only bought my car because I wanted to have a clean burning diesel that also got great fuel economy. I'm happy with my car the way it is. If this is botched, then I don't want the car. If I'm forced to get the recall, then I'm gonna toss my hat into the class action lawsuit as well.

I knew I should have bought the AWD Subaru.

Last edited:

paragrunt

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/ Nav
So, I went to Pignataro VW today and was very impressed. They let me opt out of that recall notice. They took great care of me. Washed the car, vacuumed it out, and gave it back. Ohh, and they only charged me for a new air filter and not for the time the mechanic spent dissecting my air intake system and checking all the wires. Apparently the mice decided to nest in my air box and they made quite the mess. VW got it all squared away for me.

If I can keep my VW the way it is now and not be forced to get it updated to do as our dark overlords want us to do, then I'd keep it until the wheels fall off. I've dealt with dealerships from Ford, GMC, Chevy, Chrysler, Jeep, Honda, and now VW. Not one of those dealerships can hold a candle to the level of treatment that I received at the VW dealership the few times I've been in there. Actually, most domestic brands, I found that the smiles and good customer service ended after you walked out with your new car. Only once did I receive excellent service, and that was because my dad was good friends with the GM, who was a good guy. But Pignataro VW is top notch. Mama and I have been talking about buying our next vehicle that will last us for the next 10-20 years. I'm really wanting the VW Tourag TDI if the finances are there.

I'm very disappointed in what VW has done. But I guess when I look at the grand scheme of things, their no worse than any other automotive manufacturer. Look at the Japanese companies a few years ago, the execs all got busted with overinflated price fixing, all of the domestic car companies have had egregious safety records on some of their vehicles plagued by numerous recalls. Only difference with VW today is that they committed a mortal sin against the tree huggers. It's a very PC world that we live in now.

1analguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6-speed (loaded)
Just an update on my previous post in this thread (#146): 2306 done in July. Car is still running perfectly, with no discernible change in its most excellent fuel economy.

I bought a TDI...not because it's a "clean diesel" (as though such a thing ever existed!), but because every time I let out the clutch or toe into the accelerator it runs better than any other available engine. Its performance characteristics in everyday driving situations are just flat-out superior. It exhibits smooth, quiet, and effortless performance at all times. The stellar fuel economy is just icing on the cake.

If anyone bought one of these cars because they thought the car would be cleaning the air as they drove it around, well...P.T. Barnum must have been right after all. Lawsuit, hell. I've written VW a "thank you" letter. If another "fix" beside 2306 is necessary, I'll have that one done, too. If the mileage drops a bit, I'm still ahead of the game. Unless it becomes downright undriveable, I'll keep it until the wheels fall off.

YMMV...but if it does, then having an every-day transport that's also fun to drive probably isn't very important to you...and maybe you would be happier in a Subaru or Toyota.