Effect of Car Loading On Fuel Gauge?

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I just got back from a three-day road trip in the Jetta. Cruised up to Montana to pick up a project car ('72 Honda AZ600) that has been languishing in storage. Turns out the car wasn't ready to tow, so I just loaded up the Jetta with whatever I could fit. I made the best mileage I've ever seen so far, just by driving 77 MPH steady across Wyoming. Coming back, the car definitely had a load on, and was riding a bit low in the back.

I got burned by this before-- one time I was towing my little Honda 600 behind a Subaru Forester. The fuel light came on, and I knew that meant I had about a forty mile reserve. Just miles after the light came on, I ran out of gas. In the middle of nowhere, Idaho, in the middle of the night. I learned (the hard way) that a tail-heavy Subaru has no gas reserve.

Twice I had the fuel light come on during this road trip. I dashed for the closest diesel, and found that I had 2 to 2.5 gallons left. (Only took 15 gallons-- ventectomied.)

So, what is the effect of a load on your fuel capacity? I've run out of fuel once in the TDI, and don't want to do it again. Especially not in BFE Wyoming, with a maxed load of tools and valuables. And a dog.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I have run out of fuel a couple of times. I have learned it is a lot easier and smarter to just refill when I hit half way.

I can remember when VW sold a fuel tank that fit in the spare wheel housing. I guess they can either run out of fuel or loose a tyre.

Really, why worry. Just fill up when you get to half full. It just makes life a lot easier.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Stopping every half a tank on rural road trips would mean almost certainly having to get fuel at very expensive and/or sketchy stations. I like to fill up at big truck stops when possible. I learned (the hard way) that a fuel light means you have about forty miles of range left in a Forester, or about zero if the tail is weighted down. I'm wondering about that effect in a mkiv Jetta. It seemed to be backwards from my Forester experience-- the light came on when I still had tons of diesel. I guess the only way to know true range is to run out, which I don't intend to do. The first (and hopefully, last) time I ran out, I thought it was never going to start again.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Ultimately the fuel tank has a flat base, and if you are on an adverse tilt (due to a hill, or heavy loading, or whatever), the last bit of fuel will not reach the fuel pump.

(Remember to increase the pressure in your rear tyres if you are heavily loaded).