Dyed diesel??

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Dyed diesel is exempt from Ontario fuel tax only, still subject to federal fuel taxes and HST.

In Parry Sound today clear diesel is 140.9 and dyed is 132.9

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Hardly worth the risk of the resulting fine if you get busted..... also probably not worth the hassle unless you are already using dyed stuff in a fleet or something....

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Depends on where you live. For me I run it in my F350 and my jetta so do the local farmers, but I live out in the country where there is still a farm on every corner. I'd actually think that it better to run in older diesels because it still has some sulfur content in it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
GOV said:
Prohibited Use
Dyed diesel must not be used to fuel a licensed motor vehicle, even if the motor vehicle is operated primarily in connection with the business of farming, construction, forestry or mining.

In Ontario, dyed diesel is called coloured fuel.

What is Coloured Fuel?
Coloured fuel is diesel or similar fuel that has been dyed red for tax free use in Ontario or another province or U.S. state.

Coloured fuel helps to prevent tax evasion by identifying fuel on which Ontario fuel tax has not been paid.

The use of coloured fuel in a licensed motor vehicle is prohibited!

How can it be used?
Coloured fuel may be used for non-taxable purposes such as home heating or in unlicensed construction or farm equipment. Coloured fuel may also be used to power auxiliary equipment such as refrigeration units from a fuel tank that does not power the motor vehicle.

Ontario's Fuel Tax
The revenue from Ontario's fuel tax helps to fund health care, education, transportation projects and other government programs. Tax evasion hurts us all. Honest businesses are put at a competitive disadvantage by those that don't pay their share of fuel tax.

What to look for
You are responsible for the proper fueling of your vehicle. Any presence of red dye in the fuel disqualifies that product from use in a licensed motor vehicle.

Mixing coloured fuel with clear fuel will not produce a larger volume of usable product. Instead, it will make the entire quantity unsuitable for use in a licensed motor vehicle, leaving the operator subject to the penalties specified in the Fuel Tax Act.

Pump labels
The Ministry of Finance issues labels and tags for display on any tank for storing, or pump that dispenses, coloured fuel/dyed diesel. Such tanks and pumps should never be used to fuel a licensed vehicle.

Penalties for improper use
Anyone committing an offence relating to the improper use of coloured fuel/dyed diesel in Ontario is liable to a fine on first offence of $440.

Fines of up to $1,000,000 and/or imprisonment for up to two years are possible for other offences under the Fuel Tax Act, such as tampering with coloured fuel or seals and labels.

Offenders will also be audited and may be assessed tax, penalties and interest. Assessed penalties for the improper use of dyed diesel or tampering with coloured fuel may be as severe as 13 times the tax. Keep all your fuel receipts.
I stand by by earlier statement.

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2001 Golf in pieces
I'd actually think that it better to run in older diesels because it still has some sulfur content in it.
This is no longer the case. With few exceptions all #2 fuel oil in North America has required to be ULS since 2015. It's the same stuff off the rack at the refinery now, meting the same standards for cetane ratings etc, just with a dye. Heating oil is the same too but may not meet the diesel fuel specs

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Depends on where you live. For me I run it in my F350 and my jetta so do the local farmers, but I live out in the country where there is still a farm on every corner. I'd actually think that it better to run in older diesels because it still has some sulfur content in it.
Dyed and undyed is the same diesel. Refined the same way as road diesel.