Dyed diesel??

CleannCut

TDI
2006 mkV
hi guys

I just made a search, but could not find anything relevent to Canada..

I say Dyed diesel in branford husky truckstop last week, about 15cent cheaper then regular diesel, what is the difference? also, a big truck was fueling using that particular pump, can I use that in my car too?

thank

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
From what I know from the guys here, it should only be used by off road vehicles and it is tax exempt. If you get caught using it by either police or ministry of transport in your vehicle you will get fined. Maybe others can expand on my thoughts.

CleannCut

TDI
2006 mkV
ok, thank then, I wont use it, I'am just wondering... if I must use the ROAD to get to the fuel station... why are they selling "off-road" diesel that you can't use on the road...

anyways, I dont want to get into trouble with that.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I guess mostly for farm tractors and any other off road vehicles. I am surprised that you said a big truck was fueling up with it. Was he fueling up to use it on the road or in a tank to transport somewhere? If he gets caught I think we would be charged.

CleannCut

TDI
2006 mkV
Johhny04 said:
I guess mostly for farm tractors and any other off road vehicles. I am surprised that you said a big truck was fueling up with it. Was he fueling up to use it on the road or in a tank to transport somewhere? If he gets caught I think we would be charged.
can't remember, but so far it did'nt had any external tank, it was a dump truck.

Last edited:

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
That is tax exempt Fuel for Farm use only. By law you are not allowed to use it.

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
how would they figure out if you are using it ?...drain your tank?..i mean..if your just driving would they even know?

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
On a another tread here in the Ontario section, it was stated that Dye diesel stains the inside of all your fuel lines, tank, filter element etc...

As long as they see the stain, your booked!

shaydee

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, White 2 door
CleannCut said:
hi guys

I say Dyed diesel in branford husky truckstop last week, about 15cent cheaper then regular diesel, what is the difference? also, a big truck was fueling using that particular pump, can I use that in my car too?

thank

The truck you saw filling was probably a construction vehicle even though it drives on the road it may be classified as an off-road or construction vehicle, which is permitted to use tax free fuel as they do not pay for license stickers either. (I have a guy in my village that does road construction, his trucks drive on the highway to get to the job site but the primary use of the vehicle is for work done off road)

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
Johhny04 said:
On a another tread here in the Ontario section, it was stated that Dye diesel stains the inside of all your fuel lines, tank, filter element etc...

As long as they see the stain, your booked!
It dosn't stain anything..

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
What they do i belive is dip your tank with something and if it comes back out dyed then your in trouble. But i know many ppl that use it alot and have yet to hear of anyone being dipped so.

shaydee

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, White 2 door
weedeater said:
The color just doesn't go away....
the colour goes with the fuel, burn enough fuel add regular un-dyed fuel, and the colour will eventualy dilute untill it is undetectable.

Charcoal filters will do wonders too;) However I only run the dyed stuff in my tractor:rolleyes:

GolfTDIer

TDI
2000 GOLF sold, 2004 Jetta Sport
A few years ago the MTO was in the parking lot at the International farm show. They dipped into the tanks of almost ever single diesel truck that was there. A lot of fines were handed out that day.

shaydee

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, White 2 door
GolfTDIer said:
A few years ago the MTO was in the parking lot at the International farm show. They dipped into the tanks of almost ever single diesel truck that was there. A lot of fines were handed out that day.

Question of the day, does anyone know what the fine for this is????

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
From Ontario Ministry of Revenue...

Penalties for improper use

Anyone committing an offence relating to the improper use of coloured fuel/dyed diesel in Ontario is liable to a fine on first offence of $440.
Fines of up to $1,000,000 and/or imprisonment for up to two years are possible for other offences under the Fuel Tax Act, such as tampering with coloured fuel or seals and labels.
Offenders will also be audited and may be assessed tax, penalties and interest. Assessed penalties for the improper use of dyed diesel or tampering with coloured fuel may be as severe as 13 times the tax. Keep all your fuel receipts.

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/bulletins/ft/pamphlet_truckersdyeddiesel.html

sat2825

Veteran Member
I heard they look at your odometer and determine roughly what sort of fuel economy your vehicle has. Next, they ask to see all the fuel receipts up until the the present mileage. If you cannot supply those receipts, they assume it was all run on died diesel and you are taxed accordingly plus whatever fines they impose. Turns out to be a fairly expensive proposition from what I'm told..
A lot of trucks and farmers are target - as I guess they are the highest users of Died ULSD.

CmdrData said:

Anyone committing an offence relating to the improper use of coloured fuel/dyed diesel in Ontario is liable to a fine on first offence of $440.
Fines of up to $1,000,000 and/or imprisonment for up to two years are possible for other offences under the Fuel Tax Act, such as tampering with coloured fuel or seals and labels.
Offenders will also be audited and may be assessed tax, penalties and interest. Assessed penalties for the improper use of dyed diesel or tampering with coloured fuel may be as severe as 13 times the tax. Keep all your fuel receipts.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
There is also the probability that the dyed diesel is not ultra low sulphur (50ppm). It may not even be low sulphur (500ppm)? I have read where it can be as high as 5000ppm??? Peter would know more about that than me though.

Last edited:

STIFFLER

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Blue Jetta TDI
Dyed diesel= furnace oil aswell, alot of people are jerry canning oil now aswell for their furnace fuel to save on a great big bill at the end of the month. Go every week and get $50.. if not more...

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
petro canada, the supplier we use for our farm fuel, sells only 15ppm or

ULSD and adds dye, there was a big article in the ontario farmer (front page of the production section), about how the new ULSD is hurting old

injection pumps and that you should be using an additive.

The dye in diesel does not stain anything, not even the

filter media. (I have cut them open to see) If mto was still suspicious,

they can send it to their labs and there are chemical markers still left,

even if you mixed it 50/50 and the dye is no longer visible. Haven't heard

of them going that far though. Getting the dye out is really easy. If you

really want to know I have posted about it before, look through my posts

and you will earn your just reward. I do not endorse nor condone the use

of off road diesel on the highways, you pay taxes (fair or not) to be a

citizen of this country. The max sulphur in any diesel you would buy

anywhere else for offroad would be 500 ppm (low-sulphur)

The reason that the lower the sulphur, the less lubricity has is not

becaused the sulphur was the lubricant, the process in which is used to

remove the sulphur, lower the lubricating properties of the fuel.

barriesr/t

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta (sold), 02 Jetta tdi (sold), 2003 Golf TDi and 2006 Jetta TDi
CleannCut said:
hi guys

thank
the Bradford Huskey sells Dyed Diesel. The trucks use it to power there generators, cooling and heating units on trailers. The guys that work there are very strick with the dyed diesel and will only let it be pumped into gas cans and pup tanks.

The fuel is the same as road fuel with a red dye added

shaydee

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, White 2 door
CmdrData said:

In otherwords rob a Bank the penalties my be less!

2015Passat

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
Dyed diesel is also sold at a few native reserve gas stations and in some cases the only diesel they sell. The Mohawk Gas station near Napanee only sells dyed diesel and you see TDI after TDI filling up.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dyed diesel is also sold at a few native reserve gas stations and in some cases the only diesel they sell. The Mohawk Gas station near Napanee only sells dyed diesel and you see TDI after TDI filling up.
thats because the ONLY reason for the dye is to indicate the NON TAXED status of the fuel. if you are driving a car that has farm tags, im not surprised all they way up there! Out here in citi land, you can get in trouble for that! its just fines though!

also thread from 2008

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Bro. This is from 2008.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Slight thread derailment commencing... about 7-8 years ago the MTO pulled over one of our employees in one of our Tree Spade trucks (our oldest unit and which we've subsequently sold on- thanks burnyourmoney!) Anyhow, the officer wanted to dip the fuel tank. Our employee, Tim, stated that the truck was equipped with a gasoline engine. The young officer wouldn't listen and performed her test. Miraculously there wasn't any dyed diesel in our tank. :LOL:

ewithk

TDI
2002 ALH Golf (soon)
Around what percentage of taxed diesel does coloured diesel usually cost? (near the GTA)? For reference the prices on taxed diesel are around $1.50 per litre right now and continue to rise where I live in Toronto. I can't find any prices on coloured diesel so does anyone have a ballpark number for me?