dual purpose oils:gas/diesel

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
A question was raised in discussion elsewhere about oil for a UK Rover with BMW engine. Are oils meeting ACEA, both "A series" and "B series" of adequate spec. for a diesel? I'd always assumed that a diesel specific oil is preferable. Some people argue that dual-spec oils are common, and equally valid. Any views? TDI club will be credited with any sound conclusions, naturally

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I think that the dual use, ACEA, "A3/B3/B4" formulations are preferrable to an oil that just meets the diesel specs. The reason I say that is the A3 gasser tests require excellent resistance to high temp oxidation/thickening and deposit formation. You also get more TBN depletion in a high performance gas engine, so if the oil holds up for a long drain interval there it will do that much better in a diesel.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Originally posted by NORTONES2:
Are oils meeting ACEA, both "A series" and "B series" of adequate spec. for a diesel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As long as the oil meets the specification for your engine, it should be fine, whether or not it also meets other specifications.

E.g. if your engine wants an ACEA B4 oil, and you find an oil that has ACEA B4 along with other ratings like ACEA A and E ratings, API ratings, etc., it should be fine.

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
I was thinking of those oils marketed as diesel specific. I can recall 2: Millers XFE, and Mobil turbo diesel. These are both UK sourced so this is parochial!

I had assumed that the requirements for gas and diesel engines are different, e.g. the TBN aspect which Millers have emphasised. However, it is also possible that this is hype, and that the same requirements apply across the board! I wasn't thinking paticularly of the semi-synths which are formulated for PD engines, if I catch your drift, DPM.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
No, I was thinking more of the one-oil-fits-all solutions out there. (I use them myself- I got the townace, the wife's petrol Corolla, and a bike to get round, one drum suits all...)
Comma and Performance Lubricants amongst others offer them.