DSG vs. 6 Speed

dmud

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, 2012 Jetta CJAA
I am looking into buying a 2012 or 2013 TDI and I can't decide on which transmission I want to go with this time. I currently have a MK5 BRM with a 5 speed in it and I love it but I don't know if the DSG in these newer cars have had any issues so far with anyone or should I just stick with the 6 speed? and the fuel milage is another concern of mine.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Can't be more than a few mpgs either way. I can't stand automatics even in a 80 mile traffic commute. EXCEPT for my Duramax when pulling 5th wheel then I love me some auto :). I'd look for a manual myself.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
The DSG has negligible parasitic loss compared to the manual, but a taller 6th gear IIRC.

I have the DSG and it's... fine. I didn't have a choice when I got mine and I don't regret it. If I had the option it would have been a tough choice, but I'd still probably take the DSG just for drivability. It's boring but easy, and once the warranty is up the transmission tunes look awesome.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The manual has taller gears and better mileage. Plus it's more fun. The dsg is a really good automatic though.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
Mine is a manual and I wouldn’t have it any other way. That said I’ve driven a Passat and a Golf with DSGs and it’s the most engaging automatic I’ve driven. I just prefer a clutch pedal, and there is a little extra maintenance on the DSG as well.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Mine is a manual and I wouldn’t have it any other way. That said I’ve driven a Passat and a Golf with DSGs and it’s the most engaging automatic I’ve driven. I just prefer a clutch pedal, and there is a little extra maintenance on the DSG as well.
That's a good point as well. It's not terribly expensive over the lifetime, but definitely something I factored in before I got mine, especially since it's going to the stealership until the drivetrain warranty expires.

dmud

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, 2012 Jetta CJAA
After more reading and looking at aftermarket parts and tunes. I am leaning more to the DSG only because a trans tune is a lot cheaper than a new stage 2 clutch. But I’m going to drive them tomorrow and am planning to drive them both pretty hard to see if the DSG can preform like my BRM 5 speed now. And I’m not super worried about the maintenance since I do most of it myself. But not having to worry about ATF fiuld is kinda nice.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Watch out for the combination of turbo lag plus DSG lag! Trying to merge into traffic from a stop sign will scare you silly until you learn to wait (and wait!) for a safe opening! Trying to accelerate from idle is a waiting game with the DSG! A manual is much better!

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I had a 6mt and I also used a few dsg equipped TDI while mine was serviced. There is a notable difference in mpg on long highway trips. The manual you can coast whereas the dsg you cannot. That in addition to the dsg having a taller 6th, gives you slightly higher Tom's at highway speeds.

The dsg is great, I'll say that. No complaints but I'd stick with the 6mt. Also the dsg requires service every 40k miles FYI

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
One thing to remember that manual transmission cars are worth less at trade in time. Dealers do not want them. Also if you wanted to sell it your market of buyers is much smaller. The market for manuals is shrinking except some third world countries.

Mine is a realistic comment!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Also the dsg requires service every 40k miles FYI
If you can change your own oil the dsg fluid change is really not anymore complicated except you need to pull the battery out to acess the filter. Pull the plug , dump the fluid reinstall the plug and fill from the top with 4.5 liters pop in the filter and go. There have been very good deals to be had on the fliud.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
One thing to remember that manual transmission cars are worth less at trade in time. Dealers do not want them. Also if you wanted to sell it your market of buyers is much smaller. The market for manuals is shrinking except some third world countries.

Mine is a realistic comment!
Generally, yes. But typically with a niche car such as the TDI, the opposite holds true. -this is the realistic comment

If you can change your own oil the dsg fluid change is really not anymore complicated except you need to pull the battery out to acess the filter. Pull the plug , dump the fluid reinstall the plug and fill from the top with 4.5 liters pop in the filter and go. There have been very good deals to be had on the fliud.
And it's like $70 for the fluid.......

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I Have never paid over 50 bucks for 5 liters FebiBilstein/ Ravenol
and now Rowe https://www.idparts.com/dsg-fluid-liter-rowe-p-10420.html
As I said basically the same price as an oil change. Not a good reason to reject a dsg. This is a realistic comment.
This is a nonsense comment, as it's assuming that someone would only take this into consideration.
Regardless, if it's 50 or 70...it's still 50-70 dollars. In much more simpler and understandable terms for you, it's not free and it's a cost that's only associated with the dsg v.s. the Mt. That perhaps not for everyone, but some might/have taken this into consideration when purchasing; again with everything else.

Also your statement implies that everyone has the ability and or knowledge to service their dsg. The majority do not

See this is a classic tale of one taking an original comment out of context and subsequently trying to nit-pick at it to fit their narrative.
I never said don't buy it because you have to service it, I simply reminded the op that there is a service every 40k.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
It's just a car you aren't buying a house. You'll have more drive what you like and can afford (cash).

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk