DSG Service and Bukyback

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
My Passat is at about 82.5K miles, or past due for its second DSG service. I'm reluctant to do it (due to cost and maybe not having the car much longer) because I'm going to participate in the buyback.
I put on about 2,000+ mostly highway commute miles per month. At that rate, I should have about 90K miles on it by December when buybacks may be happening, or a month earlier in November.
Should I spring for the service? I will do the oil, fuel and oil filter which is due now, but the DSG service?
Thoughts?
Thanks.

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
If you still have credit on the credit card VW gave you last fall, then might as well use it and get it done. If not, then don't. Mine expires in a few months so I maxed it out for any services I could today when dropping off for 80K service.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
I'm having similar debates myself. Wondering if I should even bother replacing the fuel filter at 60k if won't have the car too much longer. But then the question is, exactly how much longer will we have too wait before the buyback happens?

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
To the OP:

Another way to think about this: If you don't do the DSG service the chances of the DSG failing probably goes up. If it does fail then you can't drive the car under it's own power to the dealer for your planned buyback which means you won't get the buyback bucks since the vehicle needs to be driven under it's own power onto the dealer's lot.

Also if the DSG fails I'm sure it will be much $$$ to repair which takes away from the buyback monies that you are hoping for. Doing a DSG service while not cheap I'm sure is less expensive than fixing a broken DSG because the service was overdue/not done.

Just a matter of how much risk you are comfortable with here - good luck with whatever you decide!

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Imo matain it like you are going to keep it till the buy-back is a sure thing and you have a date....
Will the dsg fail due to the skipped fluid change... hopefully not....
But you are not pushing an extra 5,000 miles, or even 15,000......
If the tranny fails...you can't sell it back...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It was put very well in the post by "251." You'll kick yourself if the transmission fails before you have a chance to turn it in....and there is still no definite date when you'll actually be able to do that, remember.
OTOH, there's a thread started by some guy who didn't have a service done on his DSG until over 180K miles. It depends on if you feel lucky.
If you do a little wrenching and want to try DIY, here's a detailed procedure of DSG service I did in the garage at 40K. Took about 3 hours: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457823

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Thanks everyone. I'll have it done. I'd hate to have something go wrong before buyback.