Drop in MPG after KESSY "did something"

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I've had issues with KESSY not completely shutting down after I just turn on the "accessories" by pressing the button without holding the brake (to adjust/reset stuff in the radio/car interface). I press it to turn off, all dash lights go out, but...It drains the battery. Something is left drawing power.

This time it happened, I jumped it with my wife's tragically reliable CRV, and drove off to work. Within a few minutes, I smelled burning electronics. I pulled over, stopped it, restarted and drove to work. Since then, I've driven two tanks with drastically lowered MPG. This 2015 DSG has never done that well for MPG. I can average 40-42, but not more, even on the highway. And NOW, these last couple of tanks I've gotten 32 mpg, on the highway, even trying to drive economically... The mpg readout is showing much lower mpg as well, under all conditions.

I will get the VCDS onto this, but does anyone have an idea of which module or engine component could burn out/fail, and it still runs, but with bad mpg. This is not limp mode. It still makes lots of power, and you should see the MPG readout plummet if I use it!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I've had issues with KESSY not completely shutting down after I just turn on the "accessories" by pressing the button without holding the brake (to adjust/reset stuff in the radio/car interface). I press it to turn off, all dash lights go out, but...It drains the battery. Something is left drawing power.

This time it happened, I jumped it with my wife's tragically reliable CRV, and drove off to work. Within a few minutes, I smelled burning electronics. I pulled over, stopped it, restarted and drove to work. Since then, I've driven two tanks with drastically lowered MPG. This 2015 DSG has never done that well for MPG. I can average 40-42, but not more, even on the highway. And NOW, these last couple of tanks I've gotten 32 mpg, on the highway, even trying to drive economically... The mpg readout is showing much lower mpg as well, under all conditions.

I will get the VCDS onto this, but does anyone have an idea of which module or engine component could burn out/fail, and it still runs, but with bad mpg. This is not limp mode. It still makes lots of power, and you should see the MPG readout plummet if I use it!
Never heard of anything like this BUT want to follow, that's really odd.