Drop in HID kit

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Well, I decided to try these drop in HIDs and ordered a set from eBay. You can get a kit anywhere from $40 to $400+. I decided to go the middle road and get a Japanese made product for $120 from a seller that has a good rep. We will see what happens..... :confused: and I will be sure to post some pics after I install them.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I am really curious about the install, how clean it is. How to get the blub to fit the H7 bracket. If you have to cut through the rubber boot etc.

keep us updated.

I might go for mcullocks off passatworld this fall.

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Turbocharged purchased in Costa Rica.
I got mine, 160$ from ebay.. I would never go back to regular halogen after these lights.

And Im sure you know to disable your DRL's and let your HID's stay on for 10mins straight when you first turn them on.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
b554me said:
I got mine, 160$ from ebay.. I would never go back to regular halogen after these lights.

And Im sure you know to disable your DRL's and let your HID's stay on for 10mins straight when you first turn them on.
Why do I need to disable DRL's?... in Canada, I think they are manditory.

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
When the DRLs are on, there's slightly less than a full 12v going to the bulbs. Send that reduced voltage to the HID ballast and you'll burn it out. Either disable DRLs or set their intensity to 100% (in vag-com, where possible).

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
DPM said:
When the DRLs are on, there's slightly less than a full 12v going to the bulbs. Send that reduced voltage to the HID ballast and you'll burn it out. Either disable DRLs or set their intensity to 100% (in vag-com, where possible).
Ok... it looks like pulling relay 173 is the best option.... I am interested in the VAGCOM solution. Can you tell me how to increase the voltage to 12V during DRL mode in VAGCOM?

Last edited:

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
maktas said:
Ok... it looks like pulling relay 173 is the best option.... I am interested in the VAGCOM solution. Can you tell me how to increase the voltage to 12V during DRL mode in VAGCOM?
Don't quote me, but i believe the 100% intesity mode is not available on your year Passat (b5 or b5.5). I though this option was for the B6 Passat only.. The DRL's on our cars are controlled separately from our cars computer/CCM system (or at least its out of the scope of what the VAG COM can manipulate) If that were the case then you could just turn off the DRL's with the VAG COM tool as well. When you turn your car on the CCM doesn't send a signal to your headlamps to begin DRL mode; it's simply just a combination of the 173 relay and your headlight switch. DPM did state where possible, and in this case i don't think it is. But i could be wrong.

Pulling relay 173 is the best and the easiest way to disable DRL's. It looks like you might have to turn on your HID's everytime you drive just until you can figure out ur DRL situation.

Even though not mandatory here, I would like to have my HID's as my DRL's but im not that electronically inclined to figure out how to do it.

Last edited:

festivus

Veteran Member
How tough are these to install? In looking at a few on eBay, they quote 20-40 minutes, but something tells me that it will take considerably longer than that, especially for someone who isn't all that mechanically inclined. For those of you who have installed them, can you give a bit of a rundown on what is involved?

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, the install is about 1h 30min (for me).. I mean I can see maybe doing it in 40mins, but that's only if you've been doing this sort of install over and over again. I was being overly cautious and reading and rereading the directions. I have also confirmed with a friend that works at VW, that you absolutely cannot disable ur DRL's with the VAGCOM (Passats 1998-2005).

The hardest part for me was figuring out where to locate the Ballast for the Left (drivers side) headlamp. And also getting the bulb into place with the little metal peice was kinda tricky too. Maktas have you installed this suckers yet? FYI.. since the light output is so different, make sure you re-aim ur HID's. I didn't, and I was following behind my mom a few days after the install, and she said it looked like a light show behind her, and she would get dazzled everytime I hit a dip in the road.

I followed a very easy DIY from another board.. I have it in my favorites somewhere, but as soon as i find it I will post it. I would say this is a pretty easy intall....

Edit:
This is what I used:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222647

Here's a very very simple rundown of just getting the wiring right.
Ok, so you have a Ballast with a wire coming from it, and you have the HID H7 bulb with a wire coming from it.

The ballast needs to get power so at the end of the wire coming from the ballast there is two ends (you guessed it) positive and negative contacts. Ok, picture this, if you were just to go in and replace ur ordianary bulb with another bulb u simply plug the bulb into the cars harness. The normal bulb has positive and negative terminals at the bottom. Well in this case (HID"S) wires coming from the ballast are made like the contacts on a normal bulb. So you bascially take the positive wire, slide it into the postive terminal on your cars harness and same for negative. Wrap that sucker up in electical tape and you have the power done.

Now you need to get power to your HID Blub. So you take the wire coming from the HID Bulb and plug it into the Ballast. Now you have completed the circut. Very Simple. Now of course HID kits differ, but I think this is how most kits come now-a-days.

But no matter how your's looks you just have to simply remember that A) you of course need to get power to the ballast (+) (-) into your cars harness. Then you need to get that power to your new HID bulb (Ballast to bulb).

The rest of it just involves mounting the hardware, and getting the bulb into the socket.

Look at this kit for a reference and it should become clear. Even though this kit has two wires coming from the bulb, its the same principle. Those wires have to plug into the ballast empty terminal (mine actually has two, but its wrapped up to look like one). And you can clearly see the wire coming from the ballast that needs to go into your cars harness. Some kits will just add extra harnesses just to make the install cleaner.

Here is another kit. This one is just the opposite. You can see the loose black and red wires with the contacts at the end. Well a kit like this would require you to plug that wire into the ballast and then slide those two contacts into your cars harness. Meanwhile the wire going to the blub is fixed into the ballast, so you just have to snap the connectors together in the middle bringing the blub and the ballast connection together.

See the contact at the end of the red wire in the above picture, well its made just like the contact at the bottom of this regular h7 bulb below. That's what i mean by the wire coming from the Ballast can plug right into your car existing harness. U just need to tape it up to keep the wires secure.

The wiring is very simple. JUST remember the HID's need 10,000 volts to start properly so disable ur DRL's or you will be in for some bad times :(

Last edited:

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
b554me said:
Maktas have you installed this suckers yet? FYI.. since the light output is so different, make sure you re-aim ur HID's. I didn't, and I was following behind my mom a few days after the install, and she said it looked like a light show behind her, and she would get dazzled everytime I hit a dip in the road.
Thanks for the info and..No, I didn't get mine yet so I have no idea what I will be facing. I ordered the "pilot" brand 6000k color temp which allegedly comes from Japan.
I hope I do not have to re-aim the head lights, because I have no idea how. I am sure there are adjustments (maybe someone has a diagram or instructions???).

Regarding the H7 locking stamping, I has hoping that the HID kit comes with the necessary hardware to lock the HID bulb in place like the halogen...my concern now is that if I need to modify the locking stamping, will it be secure? will it start to shake?... stay tuned....

Last edited:

festivus

Veteran Member
As I understand it, the 2004-05 Passat comes with a total of 4 H7 bulbs between low and high beams. Did you guys install two kits, or just one for low beams? Also, any issue with these bulbs regarding excessive heat and/or wattage for the existing hardware and wiring harness?

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
festivus said:
As I understand it, the 2004-05 Passat comes with a total of 4 H7 bulbs between low and high beams. Did you guys install two kits, or just one for low beams? Also, any issue with these bulbs regarding excessive heat and/or wattage for the existing hardware and wiring harness?
The hi beams are rarely used so I don't think its worth making those HID. Also, the hi beams on our Passats are reflectors, which is not a good idea for HID. I think I will move my Nokya Arctic White H7s to the hi beam reflectors after I get my HID kit.

Last edited:

festivus

Veteran Member
There are so many different kits on eBay, it's pretty hard to separate the good from the bad. Any suggestions from guys who have some long-term experience?

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
FWIW I installed the the Syvania Blue Stars with no change in wiring and though when next to W8 Passat there is no comparison, the light is cleaner and brighter than the oem lights. You may want try this if the rewiring is a concern.

festivus

Veteran Member
Are you talking about the Sylvania Silver Stars that most auto parts stores sell? I have to say, I'm seriously thinking about picking up an inexpensive HID kit off of eBay just to give it a shot. I'd stick to a seller who has consistently positive feedback on the kits that they sell. Some of the kits cost little more than a good set of H7 bulbs, so there isn't that much risk.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
b554me said:
Ok, the install is about 1h 30min (for me).. I mean I can see maybe doing it in 40mins, but that's only if you've been doing this sort of install over and over again. I was being overly cautious and reading and rereading the directions. I have also confirmed with a friend that works at VW, that you absolutely cannot disable ur DRL's with the VAGCOM (Passats 1998-2005).

<SNIP>
I would really like to see a wiring diagram. Do you have to sacrifice the weather sealing of your headlamp unit (ie cut or remove the rubber boot?)

Obviously you have to power the HID but you need to tap the swtiched power to the existin bulb. At minimum you have to run an extra wire into the headlamp right? How did you do that?

-David

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope you don't have to sacrifice your weather stripping one bit. The HID manufactures have thought of that. You see the wire harness that comes with your kit has a black grommet around it. So that rubber piece that protects your headlights insides from the elements can simply be cut with a small hole and that grommet from your kit can be fitted in there.

Here's a pic to make it a bit clearer. See that grommet all the way on the left of the pic, sort near the top that’s attached to the wires coming from the HID bulb. Well you see how it has the grove in the middle of it? Well you just slip that grove into your OEM rubber protector that comes with your headlamps and there you have it. Just make sure you cut the hole a little smaller than the grommet so you can just fit that little rubber boot snug over it

Here's another view of that

"As I understand it, the 2004-05 Passat comes with a total of 4 H7 bulbs between low and high beams. Did you guys install two kits, or just one for low beams? Also, any issue with these bulbs regarding excessive heat and/or wattage for the existing hardware and wiring harness?"

HID bulbs run much, much cooler than any halogen bulb on the market, and you can actually touch it with your hand. They also only take up the power of a normal 35watt bulb, so the run less power than our stock (55watt) as well. The only time you hear of people melting there housings is when they try to run HID looking halogen bulbs with high power ratings (65 watt).

You cannot make a stardard Passat headlight BI-xenon. The bright lights have to stay as they are.

This is how a BI-xenon system works. There is one single HID bulb and that bulb beam pattern is controlled by the lens in the headlight, right; well when someone with Bi-xenon's decide to flash you, a little flap (yes an actual mechanical flap) moves in your head light and the beam becomes uncontrolled (or semi uncontrolled). So just think of HID bulb that has become unyielding. (Here's a nerd reference for you) You know how on X-men cyclops wears those glasses. Well when he has the glasses on his conclusive beam is controlled and defined (its the same massive intensity from his eyes but the ruby lenses can control the beam). Well when he move those glasses away (i.e. little flap) his beam because uncontrolled and more distructive (even though the intensity is the same). That’s what Bi-xenon is. You cannot make a gas filled xenon bulb get brighter or dimmer like a normal Halogen bulb. So bi-xenon is either controlled (normal headlights) or uncontrolled (brights). If you have a friend with Bi-xenon, stand next to the headlamp when he flashes and you can either see the little flap working or at least hear it move up and down. The US W8 Passat doesn NOT have Bi-xenon, its just uses the standard halogen bulb for its brights. Your car will work the same, normal lights will be HID, and your brights will be Halogen. I'm not sure of the wattage of your brights, but if you tried to add xenon bulbs to your bright lights your ballast could possibly catch fire or if it happens the be the same wattage, you will just have a second set of HID's that offer no real benefit over the halogen brights. However the European version of the Passat does have Bi-xenon.

"At minimum you have to run an extra wire into the headlamp right?"
This is wrong, remember the power that goes to the headlamp normally has to first go to the ballast first. So there is no extra wires, its just positive and negative contacts. Look at the picture above, see there is only two wires going to the H& bulb.

"FWIW I installed the the Syvania Blue Stars with no change in wiring and though when next to W8 Passat there is no comparison, the light is cleaner and brighter than the oem lights"

This above statement is scientifically impossible. The standard HID system is 4300K which produces 3200 lumens, which is 3 times the candle power of a 55 watt halogen bulb. Maybe that passats headlight lenses were cloudy or aftermarket. As you move up in temperature 6000k, 8000k, 10000k your light because worse and starts to turn purple.

Here's a chart.
http://www.delonixradar.com.au/images/HID_poster.jpg (56K warning)

ps
sorry for any grammatical errors im doing all this on my iphone (no spell check)..LOL

update:
Just been told that some cars with projector HID lens (only a few) can have two sets of xenon bulbs, but that wouldn't work for our application. So there are two types of bi-xenons. The system i was referring to above is like on the cars with reflector type light housings. Older acura TL, some lexus, and others.

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
maktas said:
you need add a relay to both ballasts. This will keep the DRL & supply the ballasts with the full power

A Relay contains the following terminals:

30: +12V (battery)
87: output
86: switched source
85: ground

So... you run the low beam wire (yellow) to terminal 86.
87 (red) goes to the ballast.

It is also a good idea to put a fuse (say 20A) in between the battery & terminal 30.

Borrowing a pic from earlier in this thread, & some powerpoint ....

The rest should be self explanatory

Last edited:

festivus

Veteran Member
For those of us who live where DRLs are not mandatory, couldn't you also just disable the DRLs using a piece of electrical tape over the appropriate contact?

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
He's right, and if you have the Euro Switch its pin 56D...

whoa sorry about that, thats not right..

for 2001.5 - 2004 B5.5 Passats you have to tape over pin B to disable the DRL when the light switch is in the off position

1998-2001 Passat B5 you have to tape over pin TFL as stated above.

Pin 56D is for something totally different... sorry

Last edited:

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Ok! I did it!

This may not be as professional as other's efforts, but here is my experience.

All in all, it was not too bad... it took a good hour, including clean up. The hardnest part was the mounting hardware for the bulbs themselves, but, if you follow B554me's previous post linking to a Passatworld guy who did a more complete explanation, you should be fine. In terms of how I dealt with the DRL issue and relay 173, I just pulled it! For those of you who cannot find it, it seems to be behind relay 373 (a big tall one), so you need to pull both and put back 373.

Here is the kit:

Here is what you have to do with the rubber dome dust cover (cut a slit with an exacto knife):

After that, feed in the bulb and the power leads of the wire harness, with the modified mounting bracket from your halogen harness. The HID wire harness already had a sort of rubber ring, so that kind of sealed the thing when I pulled it pack thru the slit, however, I still put some all purpose silicone around the opening.

Here is where I placed the driver side ballast:

I had to get creative for the passenger side, because the wire harness from the ballast is relatively short. Be sure to remove the airfliter housing completely, to give you enough room to install the HID bulb. I had already taken off the plastic cover that covered part of the airfilter and used the screw holes on the airfilter cover and scew to mount that ballast:

Finally, I put everything back and.... presto!... HID goodness!

Now I want to drive at night!!!

:) :)

Last edited:

festivus

Veteran Member
Did you find that the light pattern after the HID kit was significantly different than stock? I heard from someone else that the light tends to scatter somewhat with HID bulbs, and might be potentially annoying to oncoming vehicles.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
festivus said:
Did you find that the light pattern after the HID kit was significantly different than stock? I heard from someone else that the light tends to scatter somewhat with HID bulbs, and might be potentially annoying to oncoming vehicles.
It looked to be about the same pattern, obviously, brighter and a wider area. Judging by the shadow line while I was behind another car, I don't think I was blinding him at all as the bright area ended just below his rear wind shield. This is my first night so I will keeping checking.

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
HAHA, that's awesome man.. good job! Perfect place for the ballast.

Don't you just love that HID warm up? :D They should start to get their brightest by Friday.. Also check your dust caps this weekend just to make sure they are still secure on the back of your light assembly.

Reflex Passat, always a fav.

Next HID fogs :)

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
b554me said:
HAHA, that's awesome man.. good job! Perfect place for the ballast.

Don't you just love that HID warm up? :D They should start to get their brightest by Friday.. Also check your dust caps this weekend just to make sure they are still secure on the back of your light assembly.

Reflex Passat, always a fav.

Next HID fogs :)
Thanks! I love the light it projects... makes everything else look VERY YELLOW.... I will check those rubber dust covers.
So you say they get brighter??:eek:

HID fogs? hmmm.... where can I put the ballasts?

Last edited:

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, if you are going to be running yours all the time (DRL's), they should reach there full intensity by Friday. It took about a week for mine and there is a noticeable intensity increase (urs is a different Kelvin, so it could vary). The technology is pretty cool when you think about it; its cool to know that a gas arch is lighting your way..LOL Or it could just be the nerd in me..

I'm probably going to do the HID fogs in three weeks. I'm just going to mount the ballast somewhere on the metal bumper.. It should be pretty simple. I'm going with a 3000K kit so it will show golden yellow. I think maybe modifiying the back of the foglight housing may be tricky, but not sure yet.

"makes everything else VERY YELLOW.... "
I rented a Chevy HHR to drive to vegas a few weeks ago, and noticed the difference in illumination. Its pretty dramatic.

festivus get you some lights!!!!

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
if you're going to do HID fogs... to protect the ballast if you need to use the high beam flasher or high beams (since this cuts power to the fogs), you would modify the original wiring at the relay--- the relay should be chassis grounded, instead of the high beams.