Dreaded Wheel Speed Sensor

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
Hello,
I’ve recently bought my second TDI, a mk6 jetta automatic. Immediately after buying it the driver’s side rear wheel speed sensor kicked the bucket and broke off when I removed it. I drilled it out, cleaned it up, and replaced it with an $8 rock auto sensor. Unsurprisingly, this sensor didn’t fix the TPMS, Airbag, ABS, and traction control lights. The only time I saw any change was on the interstate, once or twice the lights shut off, but shifted the car down a gear, which i’ve read is somewhat common. So, I caved and bought the $74.95 sensor from AutoZone. I replaced it, and no difference was made. I disconnected the battery to reset any codes, nothing. The wire running to the sensor looks alright, but i’m at my wits end chasing these lights at this point. If anyone has any ideas, all are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Friend had this with his mk7 golf, in the end he had to get the software reset with odis.

Knocked out his cruise and handbrake as well as everything else.

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
Friend had this with his mk7 golf, in the end he had to get the software reset with odis.

Knocked out his cruise and handbrake as well as everything else.
Yeah i’m probably going to take it to a shop next, the codes autozone gives me are 03543,00290,01325. These are for a mechanical malfunction in the suspension, the left rear ABS wheel speed sensor, and the TPMS no signal/communication.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
@Seatman ODIS is only needed for certain mk7 and up specific stuff (infotainment for example), I will certainly hope not something like a sensor.

I think the issue here is whatever crap big box stores sell. Get parts from one of our vendors (metalman, cascade german, tunemyeuro, darksidedevelopments, IDparts), they will stand by their products and in many cases even more knowledgeable than the dealers, on this side of the pond.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
...and "adaptations" can be done with VCDS, which could be necessary in certain cases. What can't be done with VCDS is bypass component protection, which indeed is there in mk7 and up.

I highly doubt adaptations at all are needed here.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
What codes do you have? Depending on what issues your having I'm thinking maybe a bad wheel bearing.

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
What codes do you have? Depending on what issues your having I'm thinking maybe a bad wheel bearing.
The codes autozone gives me are 03543,00290,01325. These are for a mechanical malfunction in the suspension, the left rear ABS wheel speed sensor, and the TPMS no signal/communication.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
Yes, mechanical malfunction would point to the bearing for me, the tone ring is part of the bearing. I have seen them separate from the bearing.

matttdi

TDI
2004 Jetta
Yes, mechanical malfunction would point to the bearing for me, the tone ring is part of the bearing. I have seen them separate from the bearing.
I’m not really hearing anything from the hub while driving, the usual hum that I normally would have from a bad hub. Can the ring come off without the hub bearing go bad?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
Yes, two different failures. From what I've seen it's mostly rust that gets behind the ring and destroys it. Or maybe it starts to fall apart then the rust sets in and finishes it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Replaced a number of rear ABS sensors on Mk7; at most, doing a reset in VCDS is required. No need for ODIS.