Door lock issue 2004 jetta tdi

sgcecil

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2014 Jetta
The key fob opens the passenger doors front and rear and the tailgate. It will not open the drivers's side, either front or rear. The key will lock the car if the doors are locked on the passenger side and the button is pushed down on the driver side rear door. The key will make the lock button pop up on the drive r door but the door cannot be opened except fro the inside. Do I have to take the door aoart and replace the switch ($120 for the part plus time) or is there a way to fix it so I can use the key? I really don't care if the fob works or not as long as I can get into the car with the key. I have had no other issues with door alarms, windows not working etc.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Sounds like you have a couple of problems. Starting from the last one - I'm wondering if that small cable from the outside lever to the door latch mechanism is broken or not attached. I just did my Beetle's door so the info is fresh. I'd remove the outside tumbler assembly (easy to remove, look up videos), which will then allow you to look a the cable on the outside door handle and the mechanism. See if that is attached and working.

As far as fob is concerned, does your inside lock/unlock button work both doors on the drivers side? That would help pin down wiring vs switch problem. Kind of sounds like you have an issue with the switches that detect the lock button position. Maybe the door close switch too.

Try the first paragraph. Hopefully it'll be simple to get it working again and then you can worry about the fob stuff later. BTW, do you know if the latch has been replaced before? Wonder if it's a poor quality one suffering from multiple issues.

sgcecil

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2014 Jetta
The lock button on the inside will lock and unlock the passenger doors but not the driver's side doors. I'll try our first paragraph suggestion this weekend. When unlocking with the key, the button pops up but the door won't open. It does not seem to me like the button pops up as much as it should so perhaps not releasing the cable completely. I can open the door with the latch if the door is unlocked, just not when trying to open it after unlocking or partialy unlocking with the key. I don't really care if the fob works, just want to be able to get into the car with the key assuming complete fob failure.