Door hinge bolt torque

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Hello all,

What are the torque values for the lower front door hinge bolts on a mk5 sedan? I've just spent 2 hours going through my hardcover bentley and cant find door hinges anywhere. Plenty of info on door skins/latches/windows/trim/handles/etc.. just no mention of hinges.

Alternately.. tell me I'm an idiot and what pages I should be looking at. For the record.. It's not in the door or body section.. I've been through them 3 times.. the whole rest of the book once.

Thanks for any help.

-Justin

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Went to the dealer today to order the new hinge and bolts (wind caught the door and slammed it against its stop.. bend the hinge slightly)

Service department came up with 20Nm+90 degrees. Supposedly the same on the hinge-to-body and hinge-to-door bolts.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
they give you any hints for making sure it lines up? (just curious, I have no idea if this is hard or easy)

how much did they get you for hinge and bolts?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Bolts were about 1.25 each, 4 needed.. Hinge was over $100, and the touch up paint like $15. I've found the hinge online for less than $70.. or $35 used on ebay.. but I didn't trust those to not be corroded or bent as well.

Since it isn't in the bentley I assume it is like most other cars.. just tighten the bolts partially (less than yeild) and move the brackets around till everything lines up. There are locating pins for where both hinges attach to the door itself, so it seems you can't adjust the door fit in/out to make it flush with the front fender.. but by moving the lower hinge forward or backward on the body you can raise or lower the back of the door.

What happened in my case is the door stop is on the lower hinge. The door slammed into it, which levered the pivot end of that hinge forward slightly, effectively moving that pivot forward, which tilted the rear of the door down a little less than 1/4". Once it hits the striker and closes it is only about 1/8 low.. but not right. I would just adjut it, but the hinge-to-door bolts now slightly hit the hinge itself.. something they didnt do before.

I have a S3 IC sitting here waiting for install.. so the plan is when I have the front bumper off for that, remove the fender on that side (necessary to get to the bolts) and inner plastic trim, and support the back of the door while I install and align the new hinge.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Finally got around to installing the hinge today.

Turns out the torque value for 2 of the 4 bolts isn't correct. Or at the very least it seemed incorrect.

The bolts that attach the hinge to the chassis of the car are M8 with 8.8 stamped on the head, and appear to be made out of some sort of stainless. These "felt" fine going to the 20nm+90*. Just as you'd expect with a TTY bolt.

The bolts from the hinge to the door.. M10 with 10.9 stamped on the (also 13mm) head and made out of a more "light gray" steel. 20nm starting torque just like the others, but there was NO WAY it was going 90 degrees without messing something up. I didn't trust the triple square in the center to not strip out.

I just aligned the door and snugged those up to what felt appropriate.

Didn't want to send someone down the wrong path.