Doing Timing Belt, any advice?

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
Having a guy with timing belt change experience and vw experience under his belt to the work on 5/21.

Any advice?

2009 Jetta, DSG, 115k mi

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
everything back together, car will not start. bled lines numerous time. coolent replace. flashing glow plug indicater lamp. any thoughts?

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
honestly, didn't do any of the work. was done by a mech. assured me he had all the toold. aux pump was bled a/p repair manual. crack the injectors a/p another thread on here. god some air out but pressure is not what it should be.

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
cracking the lines to bleed a CRD is not a good idea and will not be advised in any service manual....you sure this guy knows how to work on a new CRD?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
honestly, didn't do any of the work. was done by a mech. assured me he had all the toold. aux pump was bled a/p repair manual. crack the injectors a/p another thread on here. god some air out but pressure is not what it should be.
This is all coming from the mechanic I take it? How on earth does he know 1) what the fuel pressure is? and 2) what it should be?

Get a list of the specific tools he used. If he had all the correct tools he should be able to tell you what codes were being thrown...:(

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
Ok, the guy (a Ford mechanic) and his friend (a Ford diesel mecanic) had the car towed to another mechanic friend of theirs (a VW TDI mechanic at Donald's VW) to get the car running. The VW mecanic told the first listed friend exactly went wrong, and I quote "you f'd up."

Both the first 2 mechanics assured me that they had the tools to do the work. Even though I was just a little worried because the majority of the 2.0 fleet has yet to reach 100k miles, I had them do the work anyway. Guess what everyone, the universal tool they had doesn't work. Towed off to Donaldson's VW.

The first mechanic ordered the proper tool kit and had it shipped over night.

Today got a call from my friend, the first mechanic, and said the locking tool worked great and the car is running. The cam was off by one tooth.

So, I brought the TB kit from ID Parts (must say the first 2 mechanics were impressed with what came with the kit), $500 to install the TB.

The TDI mechanic at Donaldson's VW in Sayville NY now has the locking kit, he brought the kit from my friend.

Can't say I'm upset with the events of this. Took a chance. Also have to remember that New York has been without the ability to have a diesel car for so long, VW diesel mechanics are hard to come by and just about nonexistent on Long Island.

Car is working though. Will be without it until they put it back together tomorrow.

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Your first post said they have VW experience - on gassers? And nothing about taking a chance. If I'd had a ford I wouldn't be taking it to these guys either.

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
ok, car is back, running good. had to go to dealer to get it running. guess it's always good to have the right tools.

The Donaldson's tech did say, "do not allow the TB to go over 120k."

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Your lucky that 1st hack job tech didn't bend your valves!!
Congrats on getting it back!