Does anyone in NE IL have gear replacement tools?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I'm getting a 5th gear set today or tomorrow, but i'd rather not buy a shiny new gear puller for a job I'll be doing once or once in a great while. If anyone around here has one that will work for the 5th cluster and output gear, please let me know.

On a side note, I noticed the destructions require a VW224B sleeve to drive the gears on the splined shafts all the way. Could skipping that step be a reason why a few retaining bolts have come loose, or do the gears slide on too easily for that to be an issue?

TDI
None
Jcrews - All of the posts I've read (ALH) say to heat up the gear to 100C with a heat gun and "slide" it off. Also to apply heat while replacing it...Haven't heard positive things about using a puller.

I've been looking into this for awhile now and have been thinking the same thing...the HOW TO instructions need an update. Have you asked the vendors?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I'm about to go to Sears for it. I'm getting impatient now that I have parts in hand.
NB> don't order parts with priority mail shipping. They're too fast. :)

The Bentley destructions only say to heat the output gear. I'm concerned about damaging the bearing the 5th input gear rides on. I just don't want to get the thing apart and have no option for removing a stubborn gear, since some don't want to come off even warmed up.

Posilock Model 103 is available at the Autozone. It works well for removing the syncro hub on the input shaft.
Sears 947704 Overhead Valve Spring Compressor works well for removing the output shaft gear. It is only hand powered so watch out for stubborn gears. I was lucky enough that each tool required only moderate-high hand effort to break each loose. Neither required heating although I had heated the small gear numerous times in earlier attempts to loosen it.

If anyone local needs these tools, I can let you borrow them.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
heating it helps but in no way do most slide off. if you had one do that consider yourself incredibly lucky.