DIY garage space in NW GTA?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Does anyone know of DIY garage space that may be available in the west end of the GTA?

My TDI is needing a clutch and a timing belt sooner rather than later...

I don't think I can let it go until spring arrives.

I am pretty well equipped for tools, but I don't have access to indoor (preferably heated) garage space. I have the special tools needed for a timing belt change, and have done this job previously on my son's TDI.

If anyone has such space available and is willing to share/rent for a couple of days, or a weekend, that would be fantastic.

Better yet, if you have experience replacing a MKIV TDI clutch and/or timing belt and are willing to assist or coach me through the trickier bits I would gladly compensate you.

I am located in Orangeville, but will consider anywhere within reasonable travel distance.

Thanks!

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Unfortunately I don't have access to a garage either (just did an oil change in the driveway last week... nice and wet and cold)

However I have heard good things about a place up in Barrie if you are willing to make the trip: http://www.barriedoityourself.ca/
I know there's a few folks on here from Kitchener/Guelph/Cambridge as well.

When I did my clutch last year it was a royal pain to maneuver the tranny, managed to bench press it back into place and made creative use of ratchet straps... I think doing the job with access to a lift, transmission jack and good helper would be highly preferable.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Does anyone know of DIY garage space that may be available in the west end of the GTA?

My TDI is needing a clutch and a timing belt sooner rather than later...

I don't think I can let it go until spring arrives.

I am pretty well equipped for tools, but I don't have access to indoor (preferably heated) garage space. I have the special tools needed for a timing belt change, and have done this job previously on my son's TDI.

If anyone has such space available and is willing to share/rent for a couple of days, or a weekend, that would be fantastic.

Better yet, if you have experience replacing a MKIV TDI clutch and/or timing belt and are willing to assist or coach me through the trickier bits I would gladly compensate you.

I am located in Orangeville, but will consider anywhere within reasonable travel distance.

Thanks!

You don't have a single friend or relative that has a garage?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
You don't have a single friend or relative that has a garage?
Your comments are so pointless... If he had a relative or friend with garage space I'm sure he would've asked them and not come asking on the forums... Forums are for discussion and help not for "go ask your friend or relative" posts

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your comments are so pointless... If he had a relative or friend with garage space I'm sure he would've asked them and not come asking on the forums... Forums are for discussion and help not for "go ask your friend or relative" posts
You are assuming too much. Let's see if the OP can answer. Doing a clutch job at a stranger's house is a bad idea. Not just from the liability side but from everything else too. Just think about before you jump into conclusions.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
You are assuming too much. Let's see if the OP can answer. Doing a clutch job at a stranger's house is a bad idea. Not just from the liability side but from everything else too. Just think about before you jump into conclusions.
I had my timing belt done by a member here in his garage... he was a "stranger" according to you and he did the job in front of me which was probably a much better thing then taking it to a shop and not knowing what was going on... the workmanship was excellent and he was very profesional... if I ever had the opportunity I would much rather have my car worked on by somone who knows what they're doing while I'm there watching and/or helping. I stand by my statement if the OP had a relative or neighbor he would've already asked and that your comment is pointless

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had my timing belt done by a member here in his garage... he was a "stranger" according to you and he did the job in front of me which was probably a much better thing then taking it to a shop and not knowing what was going on... the workmanship was excellent and he was very profesional... if I ever had the opportunity I would much rather have my car worked on by somone who knows what they're doing while I'm there watching and/or helping. I stand by my statement if the OP had a relative or neighbor he would've already asked and that your comment is pointless
The OP is looking for a garage space not for someone to do the job too. Think before you blast away and we still don't know if you asked anyone that he knows or not. You assume a lot. Take it easy and think first.

As for getting the work done by a stranger, it's all good and cool until something goes wrong and sooner of later, it will go wrong. I've worked enough on other people's cars to know this from first hand experience and been around projects where liability is a major concern.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Lol I'm not even gonna bother with you... Go reread your posts before putting words in other people's mouths

OP sorry for the derailment, hope you were able to figure out your situation

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I'm sorry to see that my question has created tension.

2.2TDI has the right idea...

Ideally I was imagining that some TDI guru might be willing to provide assistance as well as workspace (for a reasonable fee). I know I can do the timing belt, but doing the clutch is a bit more intimidating.

At my pace these jobs would likely take me all weekend working alone. Having some experienced guidance and/or assistance would likely cut the time in half.

I knew this request would be be unusual, but I put it out there to see whether it might be of interest to someone. A longshot, but you don't know if you don't ask!

So my realistic options at this point are;

1) Pay my mechanic to do both jobs
2) Wait until warmer weather and hope the clutch lasts until then.
3) Rent garage space in Barrie as suggested
4) Tough it out and do it in my driveway.

At my slow pace, renting space in Barrie for the length of time it would take me to complete the work is likely uneconomical... I might as well just take it to my mechanic's shop and let them do it.

It look like it is coming down to either waiting for spring, or biting the bullet and paying the shop for the work.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the clutch is not slipping and the belt is not in the middle of coming apart then just wait for warmer weather and do it on your driveway at your own pace.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
If the clutch is not slipping and the belt is not in the middle of coming apart then just wait for warmer weather and do it on your driveway at your own pace.

Thanks.. I hadn't thought of that! ;)