DIY and advice on egr delete

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
Guys and girls,

My car has the egr tuned out but the egr is still there. I am looking to remove the egr, cooler, and the associated lines. All while I clean up the intake.

Can I make my own "delete kit"? It looks like it is just a hose and some plates to block off?

Any words of wisdom before I tackle this? How long should it take?

Thanks!

Car is an 01 golf 5 spd btw

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Are you keeping the valve for the ASV function?
You're going to need block off plates (one or two depending on that above question)
A hose to go from the head to the firewall. Perhaps a straight coolant fitting
And a hose barb to remove the T that would normally go to the cooler

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
IMO, stealth race pipe, two block offs and a hose barb for coolant lines is the most prudent method. Just be aware you'll pick up a CEL.

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Greater chance. ASV is there to help stop a runaway (plus key off, mash brakes and put in 5th quick on a 5spd). Without it, lose the first line of defense and only line of defense really on an auto.

professorxjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5spd w/ 400k
Greater chance. ASV is there to help stop a runaway (plus key off, mash brakes and put in 5th quick on a 5spd). Without it, lose the first line of defense and only line of defense really on an auto.
Okay gotcha. I know this is a little off topic. My EGR done for and I have it deleted via the tune, was planning to install an EGR delete kit but was weary because it disables the ASV. What does the majority suggest as far as deleting EGR via kit thus disabling ASV vs. leaving it functioning?
I know there's threads on this so if you refuse to reply ill search, haha just curious while we're talking about them.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Do most EGR delete kits allow the ASV to still function?
The EGR is easily deleted while retaining the ASV. I simply install a block off plate on the EGR/ASV and delete the cooler. Some prefer a "race pipe" that gets rid of both but in a stock or even mildly tuned car there will be no difference in performance.

TdiNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf 4 door TDI 5-speed
Gotta keep this one. Im in the same boat. Tuned but still have the EGR. Hopefully you keep it posted, would love to hear what you ended up doing...

professorxjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5spd w/ 400k
The EGR is easily deleted while retaining the ASV. I simply install a block off plate on the EGR/ASV and delete the cooler. Some prefer a "race pipe" that gets rid of both but in a stock or even mildly tuned car there will be no difference in performance.
A5INKY, for the delete kits you install, do they disable the ASV?

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
i am not opposed to installing a race pipe. Infact i will probably do it because i have a manual and can stop a runaway just by putting in 5th as stated above.

So to sum it all up i only really need to order a race pipe and i can make the rest of the stuff myself?

I can cut out some block off plates with my cutting wheel and buy a hose and the correct barb fittings from the local parts store?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
i am not opposed to installing a race pipe. Infact i will probably do it because i have a manual and can stop a runaway just by putting in 5th as stated above.
So to sum it all up i only really need to order a race pipe and i can make the rest of the stuff myself?
I can cut out some block off plates with my cutting wheel and buy a hose and the correct barb fittings from the local parts store?
If you use a racepipe you only need 1 block-off plate for the manifold.
Use .125" or thicker steel.
'Hose-menders' will help with the coolant lines.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I know you want to delete but advise checking on Malone's dynamic EGR and you'll be green, no CELs, quicker warmups and ASV remains intact. Performance and economy also don't suffer. Mark has really come up with a winner!

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If one is retaining the ASV while doing the egr delete what size block ofttimes plate do you need? Is it the same block off for the exhaust manifold?

stickman007

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Anybody got the dimensions to the block plate? I have some metal left over from other projects and want to make my own this weekend.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I just did mine, removed the EGR, buddy cut off the egr and welded a piece of pipe to the EGR flange. Cut a flange off one of the EGR tubes and welded it shut, free plate. I used the long 1/4" hose in place of the 2 smaller ones the 3 way tee, eliminated a spot to leak later on, cut the longer heater hose and connected to the stock 90 deg heater hose with a barbed brass connector.

durtdzl

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 tdi
That's what i did. I even used the other flange for my egt probe

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So where is a good place to get a small plate of aluminum for the ASV block off? I tried HD and a craft store so far.

durtdzl

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 tdi
Cut one of the flanges off one of the pipes that are being removed and put a slug in the hole and fill it in with a weld. The Plates Are Not Aluminum. I used a nut and welded that in for a bung for my egt probe using one of those plates. Or u could make one and drill two holes in. Pretty simple.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Plates are easy to come by and cheap. For someone that wants to make their own for the fun of it, I don't understand why such a person would be seeking dimensional details here. Surely someone skilled enough to make a good plate is sharp enough to realize a gasket makes a good template.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Want to retain the egr hardware just in case I need to revert. Interested in making own because $19 plus shipping is lame :)

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Want to retain the egr hardware just in case I need to revert. Interested in making own because $19 plus shipping is lame :)
So get to your local metal mart, buy a piece of metal, grind it to the perfect dimensions if you care about looks, or just make it the same length and wide, drill 2 holes, DONE.